Freecycle sites

Has anyone on the forum successfully managed to log on to one of these Freecycle sites ?

How do you do it without the use of a brick wall to bang your head against ?

I am finding it incredibly difficult to do it in my area - won't accept a user name, won't accept a password but happy to send me an email ( or 2 or 3 ) specifying what products they will not accept....in my defence, I am offering garden machinery, tools and household goods as opposed to Drugs, Tobacco, alcohol and firearms.

These sites drive me mad - why do they exist if they are incapable of following thru ?  

Rant over but any sensible tips would be welcome. I'd still like to GIVE good stuff away rather than dump it.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,983

I HAVE MANAGED ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS TO GAIN ACCESS TO MY LOCAL FREEGLE/FREECYCLE WEBSITE WITH NO PROBLEMS IN JOINING OR UNSUBSCRIBING. 

THEY DO SEEM THOUGH TO BE RUN BY PART TIME ENTHUSIASTS AND THEY DO ONLY WANT YOU TO ADVERTISE THROUGH YOUR NEAREST GROUP, WHICH CAN BE LIMITING IF YOU LIVE IN A VERY RURAL AREA WITH FEW VIEWERS.

HOWEVER MY PROBLEM, ON EVERY OCCASION THAT I HAVE USED THEM OVER THE YEARS, IS TIME WASTERS. THEY REPLY LIKE A SHOT AND SAY THAT THEY ARE SO INTERESTED IN WHATEVER IT IS YOU HAVE ON OFFER, HOW IT WOULD BRING A TEAR TO THEIR GRANNY'S EYE TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE, HOW THEIR SEVEN POOR SHOELESS WAIFS WOULD SLEEP SAFELY IN THEIR BEDS AGAIN ETC ETC AND THEN THEY EITHER REFUSE TO STIPULATE A PRECISE DATE AND TIME WHEN THEY CAN COLLECT SAID ITEM OR THEY GIVE YOU A DATE AND TIME AND THEN FAIL TO TURN UP. NOT ONLY DO THEY FAIL TO TURN UP, THEY FAIL TO TELL YOU THAT THEY DON'T INTEND TO TURN UP. YOU ARE LEFT SITTING ON YOUR BUM FOR SEVERAL HOURS WONDERING WHERE THEY ARE. THEY LEAVE IT TO YOU TO CHASE THEM UP AND ASK IF THEY STILL WANT IT. AND ROUND YOU GO AGAIN.

I NOW TAKE EVERYTHING TO THE CHARITY SHOP. THEY ARE INVARIABLY GRATEFUL, POLITE AND SANE.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,983

JUST A THOUGHT IF YOUR LOCAL CHARITY SHOP DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE THE TOOLS.

HERE IN THE BAKEWELL AREA WE HAVE A GROUP CALLED TOOLS FOR SELF RELIANCE. THEY TAKE OLD TOOLS, REPAIR AND RESTORE THEM AND SHIP THEM OFF TO FURREN PARTS.

MAYBE THERE IS A SIMILAR ORGANISATION IN YOUR AREA.

OR THERE IS THIS

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,302

Thanks very much aym and Pansy.

I'll try again and see if I have some success this timeimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,836

I use freecycle a lot. 

We're between 3 different groups, so I use all three. 

I've got rid of greenhouse glass and been " given " a garden shredder. a garden sieve and a fabulous water lily.

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,850

Got rid of greenhouse glass! We've just bought new glass to repair three GH's, cost a fortune. Cheaper than a new one though I suppose. 

I sold my big old pine dresser on our local site. Can't remember what site it was now. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    I live in fear and desperation,
    should I die before I die to live again.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,214

I've used freecycle to get rid of stuff- if I have the time and energy. Otherwise tip.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,302

Thanks all.

My beef was being unable to log into a freecycle site successfully in order to be able to offer the items I have. It all sounded so simple........until I actually tried itimage

The whole idea was not to tip - I want to give the stuff away to someone who can use it/make use of it in some way.  Perfectly good machinery so not for landfill.

However, I have found a recycling centre some 20 miles away which gives/sells items brought in by members of the public ( my local one doesn't offer that facility) so I shall give that a whirl.

Seems strange when we are exhorted every hour of the day to Give, Give, Give - oh, hang on, that's probably just hard cash "they" wantimage 

Grumpy I knowimage