Stumperies.

I want to build one.  Got the tree stumps, location etc  but do I need a planting medium?

Thank you.

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

I've got a visible stump left in one of the beds in my garden, so last year I just gouged out a few holes, shoved in some of the garden soil and put wee bits of alpines and succulents in it with bits of moss I found lying about.  Everything seems to have taken quite well and lasted the winter.  I suppose it will depend what you want to grow.

theres a guy on the forum with a stumperie, I will try & find a link to his thread image  

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

Your link is working fine lily image

image Tetley is a lady by the way ?

And she has a fabulous stumperie ? 

thanks Kittyimage,  Apologies Tetleyimage!   

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,120

No worries lily, it's easily done image

imageShhh, don't tell him, but when I first joined the forum I thought Verdun was a girl image  imageimageimage

• Thank you very much to all (whatever gender).  Link worked and really helpful.  I have a much better idea of wht the finished article may look like, now.

Tetley, in my head, you were one of the wee cartoon guys from the Tetley Tea adverts.....my imagination does its own thing when I don't know what someone actually looks like image     Hope you post some up to date pics of your stumperie so we can see how they are settling in. 

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Just finished mine. Looking for suitable plants. Any ideas other than fern and ivy? Need a splash of colour.

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 435

Thanks Tetley. Made a purchase- looks just the ticket!

• B3B3 Posts: 11,327

Are they better in the shade or full sun or does it just depend what you want to grow?

In London. Keen but lazy.