Looks like a euphorbia
The sap can certainly give you burns, never heard of it producing anaphylactic shock.
I'm sure The Hitler loving Daily Hate Mail will demand it's banned ASAP.
The son of a friend of mine went into anaphylactic shock after eating baked beans. Certainly doesn't mean everyone else will have the same reaction.
Yes it is a euphorbia. Its stem contains latex and this can burn the skin. so important to keep children and pets away from and needs to be handled with gloves. stem must be broken for you to come into contact with latex. Some people are allergic to so possible cause.?
i just learnt of this recently. should really be a sign up/ warning. Someone i know has burns on skin as a result of this plant but i see them in all the local parks.
another day, another panic.
Stuff happens, anyone can be allergic to anything. It's about an individual's reaction to a substance,
If we banned everything that had ever caused someone a problem there'd be nothing left now.
AND THERE'S RUE,TOO, WHICH HAS A SIMILAR EFFECT AND PROBABLY WAS THE SOURCE OF THE PHRASE "YOU'LL RUE THE DAY...."
Don't forget Aconitum, supposedly the most poisonous plant known to man, but which I have handled, divided, sown seeds of, without coming to any harm.
HMM, "YOU'LL ACONITUM THE DAY" DOESN'T HAVE QUITE THE SAME RING TO IT.
My daughter has a nut allergy. She deals with it perfectly sensibly.
When she flew to New York a fortnight ago, BA offered her priority boarding so she " could swab down the surroundings before sitting down " She politely thanked them but declined their kind offer"
Just because something " can " cause a reaction, doesn't mean it " will ".
Last edited: 16 March 2017 12:40:10