Forum home Tools and techniques

Getting paving slabs cut to measure

Ok, so I am planning on fixing a small area of the garden where the previous owners (possibly 30 years ago) put some steps up to a raised area of the garden (only 3 small steps). These are now falling apart.

I have no problem laying a paving slabs, as that looks straight forward.

The part that concerns me is cutting the slabs. I can see that new paving slabs are much thinner than the old ugly concrete ones people used to have, but to cut them would still require a disc cutter or angle grinder. This looks slightly terrifying.

So my question is, apart from hiring a building company to come and do this small job at great expense, has anybody experienced a builders yard or such that would cut paving slabs to measure?

I want to transform this raised area of the garden into an area with raised vegetable bed with paving slabs that surround it.

Hope you can help!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,999

EVERY TIME I GO OUT FOR A MEAL I LOOK AT THE BILL AND THINK THAT I COULD HAVE COOKED THE SAME THING FOR A TENTH OF THE PRICE.

WHEN I PAY THE VET'S BILL I WONDER IF IT REALLY COST £70 TO GIVE AN INJECTION TO A SMALL ANIMAL.

SOMETIMES WE JUST HAVE TO PAY THE GOING RATE AND PUT IT DOWN TO MAKING THE WORLD GO ROUND.

SURELY THERE IS A LOCAL ODD JOB MAN WHO COULD HELP YOU? HIRING A BUILDING COMPANY SOUNDS A BIT EXTRAVAGANT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steakpisteakpi Posts: 12

I think an odd job man may have to be the way to go.

What I was hoping for was someone like Wickes or B&Q would have a slab cutting service much like the wood cutting service.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,513

Ask them.  They won't bite.

If not, maybe think laterally and use smaller slabs, outdoor tiles, bricks, setts..................;

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

@Obelixx - yup, thats plan C... where plan B will be to find an odd job person image

• Richard168Richard168 Posts: 115

Look around your neighbourhood, there will be a man or woman who you can tell does a lot of gardening or landscaping in his garden, put a note through their door asking whether they would mind directing you to someone who can do this for you. If you know your immediate neighbours ask them.

Anyone with an angle grinder could do this very quickly (assuming it’s only a few slabs) and you get to meet more of your local neighbours

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,708

Places like B&Q, Homebase etc don't offer a service like that as far as I'm aware.  Using an angle grinder isn't all that difficult, particularly to cut slabs.  It's noisy and dusty so you do need to wear the proper protection i.e. eye and ear protection and old clothes.

• pokhimpokhim Posts: 210

DIY it. Cutting paving slabs isn't that difficult to do. 

Hire an angle grinder or borrow one from your neighbor, make sure the blade is for stone and get a friend to dribble water onto the stone as you cut to keep it cool. 

What material are the slabs? Concrete, sandstone..? What thickness are they?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

It does look easy... however, I value my limbs. I am sure I can find a local handyman to do it.

Thanks for all the replies.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,985

I feel a bit like that about chain saws. It would be very useful in my garden and everyone round here (countryside - lots of trees to manage) seems to have one. Can't quite convince myself I'd be safe with it though. Am considering going on a training course though - we'll see.image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down