Myth on coffee grounds?????

seyfadesseyfades Posts: 104

Google the use of coffee grounds in gardens and you will get mixed reviews, some say only use on acid loving plants, some say stay clear off it. 

What are your thoughts in this? Have you tried it before? was it a success? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,408

I think you'd have to drink a lot of coffee for it to have any effect at all. I sling the dregs from the cafetiere on the garden, nothing changes.

• Coffee grounds are a good soil addition full stop.
    Yes they are particularly good for acid loving plants though it is best not to add tap water to rinse the grounds out before applying as tap water tends to be a little alkaline.
    I use coffee grounds this way on my blueberries that are kept in ericaceous compost and they do feed the containers and help maintain acidity too. On their own, as nutcutlet suggests, they aren't going to make a great difference on open ground, though in containers they do.

Last edited: 13 March 2017 18:41:11

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,254

Waitrose give them away free in store. Well, ours does.

Devon.
  • seyfadesseyfades Posts: 104

Majority of coffee shops also give them away, I know Starbucks definitely do. 

• Caffeine is a plant growth inhibitor, It is BAD for your gardens. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/23/coffee-grounds-are-not-good-for-plants-its-a-myth

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,013

We put all ours on the compost heap.   The caffeine and texture in coffee shop quantities of grounds used as a mulch are supposed to deter slugs from eating your tender, juicy treasures.

The Vendée, France