Worms on the lawn

Hi everyone...tonight when I came home from work, about 21.45, I noticed some very large worms on the path in the back garden, nothing strange I thought as it was mild and damp, then I looked on the lawn and WOW.

There were hundreds and hundreds of worms covering the grass, for a second I thought I was in a fishermans dream there were that many, I know worms like damp and warm conditions, but I have never seen anything like it before.

Is it normal to have so many worms at the surface, all at the same time?

Sheps...image 

Last edited: 11 March 2017 22:45:19

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Mating?

• ShepsSheps Posts: 827

Hi Nut...maybe, but I didn't see any that were coupled.

I've just been out again and you cannot put your foot down on the grass without nearly standing on at least 10 or so worms, it really is an extraordinary sight image

Last edited: 11 March 2017 23:08:37

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

oh how interesting.  We now have the date and time stamped in case it becomes a thing.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

Did you take any photos, sheps?

I can remember seeing loads of worms on the surface  but not for years. But maybe I would if I went out to lookimage

• ShepsSheps Posts: 827

Thanks Cloggie image

Hi Nut...no, I didn't take any photos, maybe I should.

I've been out slug collecting many times at night, but never have I seen worms in these numbers.

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

Annelid something or other I would guess Verdun.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,384

Vermiculites?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,265

As I didn't have a 'clew' myself, I googled it and discovered earthworms can live underwater and probably come to the surface on wet ground to move around more easily.  Doesn't really help much though! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.