Forum home Tools and techniques

Sowing Seeds

hi everyone, i was wondering, is it possible to sprinkle wildflower seeds directly ONTO grass?

will they grow etc? or does the grass need to be removed and the soil prepared properly etc?

were i want to do this im not really allowed to remove the grass and make it a flower bed etc - so was hoping i could just sprinkle a pack of wildflower seeds on it and they will grow :)

any advice would b appreciated

thanks!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,089

it is indeed possible. 

Highly unlike to be a success though. Sorry. 

Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,712

Sadly no. Grass out competes most things when it's established. You need to give the flowers a chance to get a foothold before they'll be able to hold their own against grass. You'll usually see it recommended to use 'yellow rattle' when sowing wildflower meadows - it's a parasite that weakens grass and gives the other plants a fighting chance.

You may get some to 'take' if you grow them as plugs and then insert them into the grass - primroses, ox eye daisies and wild carrot in my experience will cope fine once they've got going. 

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • HeftyHefty Posts: 370

ok great thanks a lot for the info :) good to know

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Can I ask which wildflowers you were thinking of sowing. Most of the packets of 'wildflowers' don't grow in grass at all.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

Are you thinking wild grass as in roadside verges or are you thinking about your lawn?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller