Forum home Garden design

Cotoneaster shape problem

Here's a pic of our lovely cotoneaster. I really like the whole 'big W' shape thing it has going on, but the bed on the left would get so much more light if we took the left hand main branch off from the ground. I'm asking for a show of hands here really. Who thinks we should cut? And if we do would it harm it too much? It takes good hard pruning every couple of years so I think it would survive it. Any advice, thoughts, opinions please. MB

• Won't it look really weird and unbalanced? If you stand back and look at it while covering the left hand side, what do you see? Having had the same issue with a couple of trees that's what we did, and then cut some bits and left others

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,310

I think I'd be tempted to keep the main structure and 'cloud prune' it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MoviebabeMoviebabe Posts: 26

I agree with both of you. I feel it would look very unbalanced. Thanks for confirming my feelings. I love this forum. MB image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,543

I def would not cut it if you need a third opinion image

• Ooh! Bluddy 'ell. I said something useful on a forum!  Watch out monty here I come! image

Actually,  having said that I had better drag the tv out and plumb it up. An hour and a half to goimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,556

But in answer to your question, 'would it survive?' yes it would and would throw up long shoots from where you cut it