Bird ID please

B3B3 Posts: 11,459

I 've just seen a pair of birds in my London garden.

They look like a cross between a sparrow and a wagtail. They weren't black and white enough for pied wagtails and I didn't notice any yellow more of a brown with black and white They were making a high cheeping  sound and were certainly wagging their tails.

Can anybody suggest what they might be?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771

No idea but have you tried the RSPB bird identifier page?

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,714

might they be "immature" birds and not quite have adult markings?

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,688

Should be mature at this time of year Hosta - smallish garden birds don't take long to grow up.  image

Although  - have a look here http://www.chog.org.uk/Ringing/Features/Autumn%20Wagtails%20Identification.htm 

Last edited: 08 March 2017 14:43:18

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,448
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,714

well, you know these fancy London swanky types.image

A neighbour of ours has chickens given to her by a friend who had them in London. They have to be rounded up and shut in at night. They don't just " go to bed" like normal chickens. I'm sure they've not really had proper " darkness" 

Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,459

I've had a look at the links and I'm pretty sure they were white wagtails. Never heard of them before

Thanks all.

It seems that White Wagtails are a subspecies of the Pied Wagtail

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/902/t/97028.aspx 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875
    B3 says:

I've had a look at the links and I'm pretty sure they were white wagtails. Never heard of them before

Thanks all.

See original post

White Wagtail is the species with pied being the sub species, the opposite to what Dove says.  Pied Wagtails are the form usually in the UK, White much more common in continental Europe.  It is unlikely (but not impossible) that there are two White Wags in London at this time of year.  I think they are probably pieds but not possible to be certain without a better description

• B3B3 Posts: 11,459

I'm familiar with pied wagtails. We get them in the supermarket car park. I've seen yellow before, but not around here.

If they're unlikely to be white, then I suppose they're immature something else. 

The tails were certainly right  -  like piano keys.

Happy to be corrected image  I'm no expert ...