!!Surprise Surprise!!

Look what my husband and I found in our garden this morning. What a lovely surprise. It flew away eventually, somewhere safe I hope.

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 485

Hi Jacqueline,

I can't share your enthusiasm ....

We are overrun with these  ... and they do a lot of damage to the garden.

Spring bulbs are decapitated just as they are about to open .... the latest casualty is some pulsatillas.

We can't put out any bird feeders as that just attracts them in.

I chase them off but they come back because they are hungry ... I think the local gamekeeper raises far too many. The shooting season has finished now so we will be stuck with them.

Be glad yours has flown off! With luck it won't be back.

Sorry to rain on your parade!

Bee

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,607

Isn't that strange, I found one in my woodland this morning, frightened the life out of me.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Richard168Richard168 Posts: 115

Tasty :)

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Have you tried drawing them and  hanging them up in a cool larder.? They are really very stupid birds with absolutely no road sense. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

Erm .... I'm a vegetarian!!

I agree that they are stupid ... but also destructive.

Bee

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Bee witched, so am I.  I can still make jokes about carnivores though!

Well, a vegetarian who has taken to Cod liver oil in the dark days of winter. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

My 'estate' has far too many pheasants, they've picked all the heads of the primroses, and today I've got a partridge to help them do just that.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Hi Iamweedy,

I take veggie flaxseed oil  .... supposed to be as good as cod liver oil.

I would welcome an army of carnivores to eat their fill of pheasant pie / pheasant stew / pheasant on toast ...etc

Round here the gamekeeper breeds a couple of thousand birds .... I seem to inherit the ones that escape the gun and they make my garden their "home". 

I share your pain Lyn .... I'm thinking of getting a drone to chase them  .... but I'd probably do more damage than the birds!

If only they dined on slugs ....

Bee

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,429

I've no idea who put this on t'interweb, but she seems to be convinced that pheasants eat slugs

http://www.cat.org.uk/catpubs/pdf/psamp_lbos.pdf

Fingers crossed she's right image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh