Forum home The potting shed

Show me your Hanging Baskets

I've just moved into a townhouse with a tiny backyard so I'm planning on doing some beautiful hanging baskets. I've never done them before, so any pictures of yours and tips would be appreciated; i'd love something to last from May - Sept. But when do I start planting them? I love the attached - any pointers as to what plants they are - I'm guessing some are lobelia and pentinias? 

Last edited: 05 March 2017 17:09:07

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I can see my personal favourite and also the bees in the first image, calibrachoa image mine usually last from May-November. The key is to pack in as many plug plants as possible in the biggest hanging basket you can find, use moisture retentive compost, slow release granular feed & tomato feed a couple of times a week. I have one 'up right' growing plant in the middle too. 

You can create them for more shaded areas too, trailing lobelia, begonias & fuchsias are ideal for it. 

Last edited: 05 March 2017 17:22:17

• That's great, thanks Mark! When do you start planting yours?

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I'm naughty and usually buy plug plants to grow on for a month or so from nurseries around April, harden off & plant after risk of last frost. Down here in the South it's usually the 2nd week of May or so image

Pinch out tips to encourage side shoots for more flowers. Take a look at trailing annual Verbena or Bacopa, might take your fancy!

Last edited: 05 March 2017 18:49:35

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hi hydrangeakate, i thought i had a pic of my hanging baskets from last year,but must have deleted. They were a "basket" collection from wyevale, half price but they were excellent. Good to have a large basket, put lots of plants in, this year i will use the water absorbing granules to help with moisture content, i did water regularly and feed too. I kept 6 fucshia plants from them, over winter in a cold greenhouse and they have all survived?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,724

I love those spherical-looking ones. I haven't done them for years but promised my Dad we would have a go at making them this year as I remember saying he was 'ripped off' with the bought ones he had! They do require daily attention (woe betide you if you go away for a weekend!) but that is partly why I encourage them for Dad as the outdoor pottering is good for body and soul. 

I remember my Granny saying something about that you should only have them in the back garden as it's showing off if they are in the front!?!? 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Haven't got any pics, but I put in trailing fucshias,trailing geraniums and Laurentia.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,674

.image

These are a few photos taken of my baskets over a couple of years.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 465

Oh, my goodness, mine don't shine a light to your lovely baskets, but I'll go on and post them anyway.  I set out dianthus, phlox and lithadora this week down on the end fence in the Little Garden at the end of my driveway/patio.  It's been raining all day and the sun is just beginning to peek through some wee breaks in the clouds 4pm here.  Hanging baskets dry out so badly here in Texas I don't do them much, but this Little Garden only gets dappled sun, so perhaps they will have a good go here. 

imageimageimage

My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575
    aym280 says:

Wow! Good job that I had a look, so many beauties. I especially like Yviestevie's 2nd and 3rd one as they literally sing their heart out. Love the harmony created by the 2nd one. Hope this thread continues.. 

HydrangeaKate: Were yours on steroids? The whole sphere!  I might try one this year. What did you feed your baskets with please? As DHR said, it is a lot of work to make them beautiful, but just look at those 360 degree ball-like fonts of flowers .. What compost did you use please? Mine always ran out of energy or too hot, too dry or too many plants..

See original post

She hasn't made one yet!!! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575

I guessed as OP had said' I've never done them before' that she'd never done those either.

as she asked what the plants were, I naturally assumed they weren't hers.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.