Forum home The potting shed

How to prune hydrangea peniculata?

Hi dear forumites, how does one prune, hydrangea peniculata, vanilla fraise, it was beautiful last year.....really would love to splash out on 'annabelle' this year ????

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,053

I bought 2 last year, and I'll be cutting mine down to about the first buds on last years growth. You might have to make a little framework to support them in the first couple of  years as the flowers are so heavy for such young stems.

Devon.
  • LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Hi hostafan, how do i know what is last years growth? They haven't sprouted yet, the stems are a good 2-3' long and bit spindly like you say, i did support them last year, it is so pretty....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,427

If they haven't sprouted yet, the growth there now is last year's. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

thanks for clarifying Lyn. x

Devon.

Hi lyn and hostafan,i'm confused,com, do i take a lot off and just leave first two buds from where the stem is growing or first two buds from the end of the stem? ?

take off the whole of last year's growth down to about an inch or two. You should see last year's wood is a bit..... fresher... for want of a better word , than the older growth below it. 

If you can stick a photo on, it might help us guide you.

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,427

Unlike most other hydrangeas, these flower on new growth so you can cut  the old lot off as you wish to make the shape you want, I will be cutting mine right down but not yet as it's still too cold here, I will do them mid to end of March. ,

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thank you everyone, i will take a picture tomorrow and post, it does look a bit sad and straggly.......