Forum home Problem solving

Tree Stump

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Hello,

I have a cherrry tree stump which I need to 'kill' so that the roots don't damage the patio/house and it doesn't damage the fence when it's replaced this year.

Could anyone give me some ideas/tips on how to achieve this?

Thank you

Dave

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

I have a similar size elm that was cut down.  I tried the 'drill holes and fill with Epsom salt' technique but that didn't work - lots of new growth.  

I then tried SBK brushwood killer.  Painted the stuff on and not seen any regrowth as of yet.  So it's got to be worth a look for you...?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,502

You can cut it as low down to the ground as possible and then hire a stump grinder to grind the main stump out - they're no bigger than a petrol rotary mower and can be hired from most tool hire and DIY places.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

Looks as though you have an excavation job on your hands!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,076

Due to how close the stump is to the fencing it would be difficult imo to use a stump grinder

• Dmitri-Dmitri- Posts: 17

It is necessary to uproot the tree, you need an excavator

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,054

Agree with Steve. You would not get close enough due to the fence using a stump grinder. Best option would be to hire or borrow a chainsaw and cut it off close to the ground. Then using the chainsaw make a hatch pattern in the exposed top and fill with SBK or similar stump killer. This is how a tree surgeon would do it. You might want to cover that with a plastic bag to stop any animals from getting to the liquid. Best to do it now while it is still dormant but earlier would have been better.

If you're not comfortable using a chainsaw I would get someone else to do it. As a minimum you want some safety gear (gloves, goggles and boots). Electric chainsaw would also do that job and are easier to use.

If, as DHR suggested, you want to take the roots out be very careful using the chainsaw. Soil will kill the chain plus the added risk of flying stones etc. Not recommended.

• I agree with the above re stump cross hatching and SBK. It will take time though, covering the stumps   with polythene after treatment does help. Cherry trees are notorious for sending up suckers so you may need to treat any new growth from the roots for a couple of years or so. Looking at the size of the root exposed you will need to dig a very big deep hole close to the fence, not an easy job.

• Dmitri-Dmitri- Posts: 17

Maybe you will be surprised if I tell you that you have a pleasant problem that can be solved with the benefit for yourself. The main task is to get rid of the old tree. Then find the application it's not difficult. For example, the trunk and root of the cherry is perfect for cooking meat in the oven, especially ducks or beef. Just to uproot the tree and throw it away is a wrong thing.

According to the rules of gardening, green waste must be disposed of for further use on the farm. Special cleaning technology is used, containers for recycling residetial waste. Below you can read useful advice on how to properly care for the garden. With benefit for themselves and the environment. The uprooting of trees, branches, harvesting of leaves, grass is the whole process that requires a scientific approach. The article http://junkandgardening.co.uk/services/garden-waste-removal from the service of collecting green waste in London has useful information on this topic.

I wish you a good harvest, and that your garden will blossom with new colors.

Last edited: 07 March 2017 14:32:17

• Many thanks for all the responses. In the end I excavated the tree roots and had the stump (impossible to dig out) ground out  by http://www.stumpbusters.co.uk/ ; who had a narrow grinding machine small enough to get down the side passage to the rear garden.

David

image             image

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,076

Hi David 

After that pour your self a nice cold beer as you definately deserve it ??