Forum home Wildlife gardening

A busy day for the ????

It's wonderful to see your best efforts for wildlife pay off. I've never seen so many frogs in the pond before ????

• Happy frogs Jonesk, you have obviously given them the right conditions to lay so much spawn.  We have none in our pond as yet, but I am hopeful that a few frogs may have survived the attentions of the neighbours cat....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

Lovely photo, like a 'Spot the Frog' competition??

ours are already swimming about, don't know what they were thinking of spawning so early. One patch had died, but thousands  ok.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Ha ha  - you're right Lyn!! I see 16!! How long ago did yours spawn to be free swimming by now?

Hang on in there Guernsey Donkey. I'm sure they will turn up soon, how old is your pond now? Do you keep fish in it?

• I think by past records we aren't going to be having any spawn this year, which is a pity as two years ago we had so many tadpoles - hundreds.  It's only a tiny pond and we have had it in the same position for about 20 years now Jonesk. No fish, but we have had visits from Herons in the past - at the time when the frogs were active. 

We do have newts in the pond, which is a bonus.