Forum home Problem solving

Lawn help

Hiiiiii All

please could someone advise me the best and cheapest way I can solve the following problem, 

All my grass has washed away with the rain, this part of the garden is much more wet than the rest, I think it is clay soil, please see attached pictures, 

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,062

I don't think it will have been the rain that 'washed it away' Linda.

Are these recent pictures? Is the area in question mostly in the shade? Judging by the brickwork is it a new-build?

• Dave Humby says:

Hi David,

there are todays pictures, it is a new build, I have put seeds down for a few year then after a while it goes back to looking like that    :(

I don't think it will have been the rain that 'washed it away' Linda.

Are these recent pictures? Is the area in question mostly in the shade? Judging by the brickwork is it a new-build?

See original post

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,062

Hi Linda,

Clay is very problematic for lawns. Either very dry in summer or very wet in winter. It could be that your grass seed has rotted away if too wet and too cold when sown. Or, as you say, if it's really wet there it could wash off into the stones. The soil we can see actually looks very rich but often with new builds the top soil is very shallow and underneath that is all sorts of rubbish and often very compacted soil. Are you in the UK by the way? Maybe you could make a planting border adjacent to the house and plant some suitable flowers and shrubs. The lawn away from the brickwork looks as though it is happier and with some work you might get some better growth in that area. 

• I am in the Uk (Newcastle) I was thinking to plant some flower but  as not sure to plant in to the ground or have pots all the way round and not sure what plants and flower will be suitible, you are correct there is loads of rubbish underneath