Forum home Wildlife gardening

Woodpecker

Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

I adore my woodpeckers but have noticed a female enjoying a new (ish) birch. Mrs W spending a lot of time running up and down.

I know it's the males who hammer but does anyone know if the missus will cause me any problems ?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

woodpeckers peck for insects and bore holes for nests but I doubt if there are many insects under the bark of a young tree and no room for a next

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Thanks nut. The nest they use is right beside in an old pruned beech.

A A Milne
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

lovely birds to have around. Green WPs excavated a nest in one of our willows a couple of years ago. Then went away and nested somewhere else. Probably too near the road for peace and quite

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,765

And green woodpeckers will be out early in the mornings probing your lawns for ants - sooo envious! I love watching them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

We have the great spotted woodies, they are very shy but over the years have come closer to the house

they normally come to the bird table but this year they are using the tree. I am delighted but I do love my tree too!

A A Milne
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,765

I've only seen Gt Spotteds in this garden very occasionally. I miss seeing them in the gardens where I used to work - they would bring their youngsters to the bird feeders most days. 

Last edited: 28 February 2017 22:41:29

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• There are a lot of telephone poles around here which the woodpeckers seem to like, not many large trees. I have had the lesser spotted visit my feeders, they disappeared for a couple of years, not even the hammering but I have seen an adult male a few times this winter. I once saw a family of green woodpeckers feeding on the ground in Prospect Park in Reading, 5 of them, I was so excited! Have never seen a green down here in Cornwall.

not the best photo,  but he is very shy,!

Last edited: 07 March 2017 19:38:20

A A Milne

Arggg upside down and wont turn, sorry

A A Milne
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,748

Got him LilyPimage. The blood will be rushing too his headimage

Love the yaffling of the green woodies - we here them more than we see them

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.