Forum home Fruit & veg

Planting potatoes now?

I have new east facing vegetable beds. They are filled with topsoil and compost so the soil is nice and loose.

I want to try and stagger the planting of my potatoes (I have the variety 'Rocket')

Is it too early to put in the first row?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,085

I wouldn't plant potatoes until late March/early April unless you live in the far southwest of the UK. 

You could cover the beds with black plastic now to help the soil warm up so the spuds get away quickly when you do plant them. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,106

I agree with Dove  even with earthing up or fleece on top  starting now risks loosing the whole lot if there is a late frost, & the tops are showing through.

AB Still learning

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Thank you both - I'll rein in the temptation to start now ?

Is it worth staggering my planting? When my father in law grows 1st earlies the first few weeks worth are lovely but then the skins start coming off them when boiled after this - we asumed that the potatoes had been in the ground too long and that staggering the planting might help?

Last edited: 28 February 2017 13:50:52

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,106

Yes it is worth staggering planting as insurance from the variations in the weather if nothing else. The skins come off new potatoes because they have not "set" (matured) this usually happens with later & maincrop so not a fault of new potatoes. Jersey Royals one of the best known new potatoes in shops is in fact International Kidney which you can grow on to be a large maincrop potato, the growers in Jersey harvest them very young and the skins often come off.

Small thought on planting time you may be able to get away with being a bit earlier as there is that lovely brick wall there. This will act like a storage heater if the sun is on it and it will release heat back in the night.

AB Still learning