Where to buy plant seeds

Hi all, 

I had master plans to turn my newly inherited logo maintenance  garden into our perfect garden just this year. I blame monty's big dream programme. 

I've since took advice and have decided to just start with a new lawn. It will be a couple of years till I am ready to plant things so thought it would be rewarding to grow plants/trees from seed. Does anyone have recommendations for where I can buy such seeds online? And any tips? 

Thank you 

• Tree and shrubs from seed will take several or even many years to get to a 'useful' size for a garden, so it better to invest in a few good plants from a reputable supplier. Perennials are more of a possiblity. They are usually slower growuing than annuals, but there are quite a lot that will flower in their first year from see. Some do require special conditions for germination though and some seed sowing experience would help with these. Annuals are generally fast and easy from seed, so you could start with a few of these in pots to get your hand in and provide some colour this year.

Annuals can often be sown directly on to prepared ground, but perennials need more investment of time and equipment and also need space and good light levels.

You start with a few seeds sown in a small pot. They may need heat to germinate - a warm window sill or a propagator. They may need stratifying - a period of cold, either outside or in the back of the fridge. Some germinate erratically or take a long time.

Once they have germinated, each seedling will need to be pricked out, (carefully transplanted) into its own small pot. It will still need protection from the elements, so a cold frame or greenhouse, and from slugs and snails. Some will still benefit from a little more warmth for good growth. They all need good light or they will grow weak and weedy.

When the small plants have filled their small pots and the roots are starting to grow out of the bottom, they will need transplanting into larger pots. At this stage they can usually be hardened off and put to stand outside in a sheltered spot. Watch the watering and for those slugs! When they have filled their big pots, you will be safe to plant them out in your garden.

Each stage takes up more more room than the previous one, so don't start with too many seeds. Choose a few packets and sow a tiny fraction of the seeds in them in your pot. It is better to have 6 good plants than dozens of poor ones.

If this sounds daunting, don't let it put you offimage Growing from seed is rewarding, it is one of the most satisfying things you can do. Seeds are like magic, no matter how many you have grown , for however many years, and growing your own plants gives you a closer connection with them and your garden.

An alternative howerver, that would not be too expensive, would be to buy a select  few good individual plants from the garden centre this spring. Look for ones with lots of new shoots at the bottom, not the ones with the most flowers and choose clumpy ones, not those with a single stem. Pot them on into bigger pots, and then, when they fill them, pot them into even bigger ones. Then either in the autumn or next spring, divide the plants to make several new ones. Grow them on for a while in their own pot and then plant out. This way they can spend their lives outside and it is less work for you, but you will have good plants ready for your garden next year.

Have fun!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,229

Try looking for seed websites on Google, there are lots, Suttons, Unwins, Dobbies etc. Is there a garden centre near you? They sell seeds, so do supermarkets and DIY places.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 695

Sarah Raven, Seedaholic.com, Higgledy garden are ones I've  usd in the past. There is also a seed swapping thread on the forum, you just might find what your looking for on there. I don't know how to post a link buts its title is, plant and seed swap 2017.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Lidl has the cheapest seeds at the moment. The woodland trust are giving away free tree seeds online

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

Chiltern seeds are good for trees, shrubs and perennials. Of course it's slower but so satisfying. In 25 years I have Scots Pines and  Field Maples as tall as the house, (no, it's not a bungalow), I have mature looking shrubs, Clerodendron, Chimonanthus, Ptelia, Tree Paeonies, Eleagnus. All from seed. I'm still sowing though it's getting a bit late for me to see them mature.

Another plus is that you can get something different to all the standard stuff in the GCs

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Don´t worry, nut, God will give you many years yet !

I'd like to recommend Moles Seeds, they sell perennials and annuals seed in many quantities what is great for goofy gardeners like me who struggle with their seedlings... The varieties are top-notch brands and they have a beautiful catalogue too.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Before you buy anything, see what you can grow in your garden, the soil type may not be suitable for all plants. Look at your neighbours gardens and see. Or you could buy a soil testing kit from the garden centre.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

Thanks DW. image

I'll have a look at Moles seeds, I don't think I've seen them