Fennel-bad idea?

Apologies if this has been asked before... I have a packet of fennel herb seeds I was going to plant in an area of the garden I have set aside for herbs but have just been reading that they can inhibit growth of neighbouring plants, causing them to bolt and even die. 

I would love to give them a try as I like the flavour but don't want to be nurturing an invasive killer! Does anyone have any experience? I was going to plant them with chives, oregano and rosemary, along the same bed from some rhubarb and globe artechokes (none of which had been planted yet!)

Hope you can help x

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

Is it the tall fennel or the big bulby type?  One is a herb - I grow it for the seeds to use in curries and the other (Florence) can be used sliced in salads and baked dishes.

I've never heard of it inhibiting the growth of other stuff but I do know that the tall herby one self seeds like a nutter in every nook and cranny of the garden, between paving stones etc.  Despite that, I wouldn't be without it and always have one in the garden.  I find them elegant and architectural.

Sorry if I didn't really answer the question but you do get people's experiences here image 

• I like fennel self-seeding and growing somewhat wild in the flower beds and haven't had any problems with it. The large plants are very attractive - I don't grow it in a separate herb area.

• Yep it's the tall herby stuff-thanks for sharing your experience with it-looks like I'll need to keep an eye on the seeds if I decide to go for it! X

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,607

I wouldn't worry too much. It does self seed, but the seedlings are easy to remove, and I have found them turning up in some great places, where I would not have thought of planting them.

Self seeders are plants for free, remove them if you don't like where they are, or there are too many. They should be cherished. 

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Thank you verdun and punkdoc-I would not have thought about sowing seeds elsewhere in the garden but if it is a beautiful plant it may be worth it. X

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,766

If you also want to grow dill keep the two plants as far apart as you can or you'll end up with 'fendil' which doesn't taste as nice as either fennel or dill. I grow fennel in the flower borders and dill with my other herbs, but I've never found either affecting the plants around them.

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177

I did not know about Fendil.  Thanks Raisingirl, I could have fallen foul of this in my last garden where I had both in close proximity but I moved so p'raps the lady who bought the house is troubled with it? 

Oops. image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,607

I have been looking this up, and there appears to be no evidence that Fennel affects the growth of any other plants.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Well, to be fair the source of my information was Pinterest so maybe not the most reliable... not too keen on dill anyway so no dangers of fendill in my garden! Thanks for responding x