Nest boxes

Can anyone help? We made a nest box a couple of years ago and the very first year we had blue tits nest in there. We were so exited. Later in the year long after they had left we had a sneaky peak in the box to see a perfectly lined what looked like carpet throughout. We left it in there and the following year we had no residents. So this year we have seen lots of interest but still it appears no birds want to set up home there. Do you think this is because we have left the moss carpet inside and birds are leaving the nest as they think somebody already lives there? Should we remove all of this moss? Any advice would be much appreciated..

• ShepsSheps Posts: 824

I would remove all the moss and give the nest box a good clean.

See here  http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/read-and-learn/helping-birds/nestboxes/smallbirds/maintenance.aspx

Sheps...image

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Birds are prospecting now but the tits will not properly get down to serious nesting until April.  Probably a good idea to remove the moss and grass that is there.  Make sure there is a clear flight line and it should not be positioned to get too much sun.  A north or east aspect is preferable unless shaded for  much of the day.  Lots of info on the RSPB and BTO websites. 

• Sheps/Redwing,

Thanks for your advice. Did what you said and cleaned it out and low and behold we have had a female move in.. All being well we should be seeing some chicks soon. I believe they're blue tit's but the female does look quite white so it could be coal tits. Either Way we are very happy to host another family in our home..

• AL*AL* Posts: 19

image I put up a brand new nest box gifted to me for Christmas, happy to say got pair of blue tits nesting. Will follow RSPB advice in Autumn then image

imageimageimagePlus nesting Robin, with x5 eggs.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,376

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Wow, I have a robbin nest but no luck. Might take some inspera toon from your nest.. 

Thanks..

Thanks Clinton, will update any progress ... Hope to get hatchlings image

Put out mealworms for all the garden birds today. Update pictures, robin on nest and blue tits coming and going. ... sorry for poor quality, full zoom didn't want to get too close.

imageimageimage