Forum home The potting shed

HOT BIN COMPOSTER

My daughter is planning to buy one for me as a a Mother's Day present.so I would like to know if it's as good as it sounds.

SW Scotland

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

No idea Joyce, sorry. I've not met anyone who has used one, nor heard anything about them, other than their ads.

Devon.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 776

My friend has one and swears by it. As long as you put the right stuff in it to keep it at a certain temperature. It produces useable compost in a shorter period of time than the usual compost bins. 

i watched an episode of the BBC Beech Grove garden in Scotland where they featured a hot bin composter and they were impressed with it.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Thanks Bright Star.

SW Scotland
  • Yes, I saw that Beach Grove episode too, where they were extolling the virtues of a hot bin composter.  I think it was made from polystyrene, and I was quite impressed.  However we would need at least 6 of the bins for the amount we put in our compost heap (made from shipping pallets), which would be uneconomical.

Enjoy your composting Joyce.

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 356

I have one and I love it. It stays at about 40 to 60 degrees as long as you keep adding lots of waist including lots of brown. I normally have compost within 3 - 6 months depending on the time of year. 

I was amazed how much brown stuff  I needed to add to stop i becoming a sloppy mess. 

i have heard mixed reviews about it but I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I would even buy two if I had the space.  

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

Giddy123.......What all do you include in the brown waste?   I'm not sure if I'd have enough on a regular basis and   I don't want my daughter buying the composter  if I'm not going to be able to make use of it.

Last edited: 28 February 2017 09:55:29

SW Scotland
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 776

Grass cuttings, twigs, dry leaves, paper, cardboard, sawdust, hay, etc.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• You need a mix of carbon ( brownish) and nitrogen ( greenish) to get the pot boiling! Too much of the latter, especially all grass clippings will give a horrid slimy mess. Green has to be mixed with prunings, cabbage stalks , and the like to get the chemistry going. Cut up prunings etc small and mix in. It also helps to build up the bulkiness quickly. Small amounts won't get hot, probably.

• Sounds like an exciting project Joyce, plus the fact that you have compost in 3 - 6 months - much quicker and more efficient than our slow process. I am sure your daughter will help provide material to compost  if you don't have enough of your own, or perhaps a friendly neighbour will help out.

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 356
    Joyce21 says:

Giddy123.......What all do you include in the brown waste?   I'm not sure if I'd have enough on a regular basis and   I don't want my daughter buying the composter  if I'm not going to be able to make use of it.

Last edited: 28 February 2017 09:55:29

See original post

I mainly use shredded paper for my browns. but you will need much more browns when compared to a standard cold bin due to the steam and moisture that it produces.