Shrub ID please

phill4phill4 Posts: 20

Hi, is anyone able to ID this shrub in my garden and advise on how to deal with it? It's got into a tangle with quite a lot of ivy. I chopped it back a bit last year as it was a real mess. I want to improve it for this year, and also find out what it is please!imageimageimageimageimage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,190

I think that it may be one of the Escallonias. Try to get rid of all the ivy to allow it to thrive. Can you remember if it had small white/pink/red flowers last summer, as Escallonias come in all of those colours. Pruning should be done immediately after flowering but yours could do with a little more help. Try to open up the centre of the shrub by removing any old, congested or crossing branches. Leave the younger growth and you may just be lucky and get some flowers this Summer.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,963

All of the above. Escallonias are very hardy so will survive and thrive on a good lopping. If you lop it lower than you want the final height to be you won't be forever trimming it.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,991

Escallonias are prone to a relatively new disease call Escallonia leaf spot.  Mine had this and I tried to control it but eventually had to remove it.  All the advice I received said that it was very hard to eradicate and even when you thought you had got on top of it the disease usually returned.  I noticed that some of your leaves have spots on them.  Just thought I would make you aware of it. You can find out more about it on the RHS web site.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • phill4phill4 Posts: 20

Thanks everyone. It did have small flowers all over it so I do believe it is an Escallonia having looked up google images. I'll get out and start to prune it at the weekend. I will get rid of the ivy. Most shrubs in the garden have been bound up with ivy. I've cleared most of them. I did notice the spots so will keep an eye on that. Thanks again. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,384
    Yviestevie says:

Escallonias are prone to a relatively new disease call Escallonia leaf spot.  Mine had this and I tried to control it but eventually had to remove it.  All the advice I received said that it was very hard to eradicate and even when you thought you had got on top of it the disease usually returned.  I noticed that some of your leaves have spots on them.  Just thought I would make you aware of it. You can find out more about it on the RHS web site.

See original post

Same story here. I had to get rid of my Escallonias (and did not regret it after all, not such nice shrubs to grow).

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).