Forum home Tools and techniques

Wire fencing + post and rail fencing

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,663

My labradors and springer spaniels could jump/scramble over a five bar gate - most terriers will dig underneath any fence you can name - just a heads up for when it comes to choosing your dog image

Last edited: 27 February 2017 14:06:17

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WaysideWayside Posts: 807

Hops and dogs is a bad combo.  How odd.  Thanks for the warning that's good to know.

Last edited: 27 February 2017 14:06:29

Yes, I think I'd ruled out terriers because of digging and barking.  But I haven't ruled out some type of spaniel.  Originally I was going to fence a section to keep foxes out, but it seems they'd swing in by rope given the chance, so gave up on that idea.

Last edited: 27 February 2017 14:10:52

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,663

Springers have springs in their legs - our neighbour who was the village headmaster and 6'4" had a right of way through our land to his front door but he didn't often use it - then one day he came home during the day for some reason - the next thing I saw was that he had four muddy pawprints on his chest - Dan our English Springer had leapt at him in a friendly greeting and landed all four muddy paws on his clean white shirt front image

Think Welsh Springers and Brittany Spaniels are not quite as lively ...image

Last edited: 27 February 2017 14:18:48

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• A picture of what is, at present quite a stark looking fence as it is just a couple of months old. In time I expect to put a few more less tender plants along side the fence, not actually touching it, but  just imageto enhance the area. The fence is approx. 5 foot high. The fence has also been buried a few inches underground, to help prevent next doors wild rabbits from making their way into our garden. I am sure they will find a way to overcome this obstacle - they are fairly unstoppable.

Last edited: 02 March 2017 23:37:38

Wow, that's a long border.  I think post and rail more attractive.  But not sure about longevity.  A local outlet sells chestnut rails that are meant to age well, but the posts look to be regular softwood.  Of course it would cost more.

What's the rock project?

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Wayside one side of my garden is a low post and rail four foot six and has been there without problems for nearly twenty years. Buy the best you can afford and maintain it. Keep the bottom off the ground and use mesh or stone to close off the base. You may well keep the dog in but keeping cats out is another matter, the only thing that kept the cats out of my garden was my little Westie he hated cats. 

Frank.

• The rock project - we had tonnes and tonnes of spare granite left over from old greenhouse walls (low walls the house sat on top of the granite - we used some to build two extensions on our cottage, some in the garden, sold some and STILL we have tonnes left! Granite is the island stone so you see it on the beaches, the road sides used on houses and also used in London among other places.

I wouldn't use any type of wooden stakes for a fence, they will rot in no time. image

It's a bit sad that the only picture I have to hand is when the greenhouse collapsed in one of the winter storms about 30 years ago now, and I don't think you can see the low wall that was built as the foundation of the greenhouse.

• We have V-mesh all round our garden and it is hardly visible.  Very strong and lovely for growing things against and up.  No maintenance.  Easy to remove a panel if required by a few screws. 

Above is an image I found on the web.  

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

G.D. Do you own half the Island I ask, it looks that way. I can only say what I see and my wooden posts albeit bigger then normal are solid after a very long time. Everything will rot in time including plastic covered mesh, once a small crack appears in the plastic it soon travels. Although they were pressure tanalised I stood them in a barrel of preservative before they were concreted in. In my old house I drilled the base of the posts just above the ground poured oil in and then pushed a plug in to seal the hole. I went there two years later when they could not find a manhole and it was still up. Proper materials good preparation and proper maintenance saves a lot of repeat hard work.

Frank.