Forum home Problem solving

Sweetpeas vanished

My sweetpea seeds have vanished!  Sowed them 10 days ago as normal. Pots in cold GH but covered with bubble wrap. Only one seedling has appeared. I decided to investigate and tipped a couple of pots out and no sign of the seeds. No sign of mice scrabbling in the pots so I have a mystery. Now to re- sow but this time the pots will come indoors to the utility. Any ideas anyone where the seeds went to?

Last edited: 26 February 2017 17:34:20

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,246

Mice would be my guess- despite what you might think!

It's very early for sowing them anyway, so I'd sow more. There's no need to bubblewrap if they're going in a greenhouse.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,677

I have problems with mice and sweet peas - but they eat the shoots as soon as they germinate rather than scoff the seeds.  You can normally see evidence of the decapitation - just a tiny little stem shorn level with the soil.

I cover them with propagator lids until they have germinated to keep the crittters out, amd then balance the trays on tall pots to baffle the meeses until ready to plant out.  Once they are In the ground they seem tough enough to withstand the odd nibble.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

Birds will also take them - have you got doors open that any can get in?

• GrajeanGrajean Posts: 294

Thanks everyone. Never thought of birds and the door has been open a tiny bit. Find the mouse traps now I guess!

If you don't want to 'dispatch' anything - follow chicky's advice and keep a lid on propagators until germinated.

Of course, then you'll have the slugs and snails to watch out for.....image