Forum home Problem solving

Leaf Mould

Hello all experienced gardeners!

I found a couple of bags of leaf mould earlier that I 'made' last year.

Never done it before so wondered what I could use it for? Think I read somewhere that it needs to be 2 years old before I use it as a mulch, or did I just make that up?

Thanks in advance!

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,312

I find one year old leaf mould is okay for mulching but you need to leave for two years for a more compost-like soil conditioner. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,916

I'll be using the "leaf mould" from last Autumn as a mulch this Spring.

Devon.
  • Thanks for the advice.

Are there any particular plants you should use it with, or any?

I mulch everything to keep down weeds and improve soil structure.

Devon.
  • If you want to prioritise, then woodland plants will especially appreciate it, but it is considered almost the best soil conditioner, adding organic matter and lots of micro -organisms but few nutrients.

• Ferns in particular like to be planted in leaf mould. I find that if you shred the leaves before leaving to compost they decompose a lot quicker. It just great stuff to combine with MP compost to give it some body 

• ColinAColinA Posts: 311

I make up my own compost for both seeds and growing on as the bought stuff i found was poor quality. I mix 3 parts sieved soil to 3 parts sieved leaf mould and 3 parts peat. For growing on i add fish bone and blood

• wild flowerwild flower South West LondonPosts: 78
    edited October 2018
    I am starting to collect my dead leaves (mostly from the loquat tree) for making leaf mould.  I have 2 bin liners (with holes) - one for brown, dried ones and another for more flexible/still slightly green ones; obviously scrunching them up (as best I can) beforehand.
    When I read here that ferns benefit from leaf mould, I did a google search (since ferns like ericaceous soil).  Sure enough it would seem that leaf mould should be used around ericaceous plants, i.e. not an all purpose mulch.  Yes?
    A 'weed' is just a plant in the wrong place - subjective! ;)
      Sure enough it would seem that leaf mould should be used around ericaceous plants, i.e. not an all purpose mulch.  Yes?
    I mulch everything. Depending on the pH of your soil, the ericaceous plants might need it more, but it'll not go amiss anywhere IMHO.
    Devon.
  • wild flowerwild flower South West LondonPosts: 78
    edited October 2018
    Hostafan1 said:
      Sure enough it would seem that leaf mould should be used around ericaceous plants, i.e. not an all purpose mulch.  Yes?
    I mulch everything. Depending on the pH of your soil, the ericaceous plants might need it more, but it'll not go amiss anywhere IMHO.
    You'll much everything with leaf mould?  What I have read indicates it is acidic, i.e. only suited to certain plants.
    A 'weed' is just a plant in the wrong place - subjective! ;)