What's this?

imageimage

Would anyone know what this could be and if yes.. how do I prune it? Does it need trimming right down to the bottom? thank you 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,705

It's a clematis, and a very vigorous one by the look of it.  Hopefully someone else might have an idea which one... my guess would be a late flowering species like Clematis tangutica, because it still has the remains of seed heads on it.  If that's the correct ID, prune it to about a foot above ground level in Feb or March, just above a healthy pair of buds (you can see some in the photo). 

But others might think it's a different clematis... let's see!  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,729

Definitely a clematis, but can't tell which one.  Its in a bit of a tangle so I would be tempted to prune it a Liri suggests whatever it is.  Once you've got it back under control then you can post pictures of its flowers - someone here will then be able to identify it and give you better advice for a long term pruning plan.  We'll need pics of the flowers and also a note of what month they appear in.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

Or it could be a mixture of 2 or 3. Rump it right down and see what happens. At the most it will still grow but not flower this year. At best it will give a stunning display of ???

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • really appreciate all of your comments. It's all really helpful. Thank you :)

• It ressembles my viticella - a summer to autumn flowering clematis with small purple flowers.  If it is, it is so vigorous that I cut it right down to about a metre from the ground and it romps away (a mile a minute comes to mind).  It may not be possible to identify it properly until it flowers so I would be a bit careful how low I cut it in the first year.

• Thank you, very helpful :)