Forum home Problem solving

Photinia problems

Hello!

I have a problem with my photinia red robin hedge. As you can see from the photo, new shoots are developing, and then dying almost as quickly. I have no idea what is causing it, but its happening to almost all of the new leaves. I've had a problem with vine weevil in the past, but at this rate they won't have anything to much *on* if this problem carries on. Help!

Last edited: 26 February 2017 10:56:02

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,267

Hello image

I wonder if they've made tender new growth a bit too early due to a warmish spell, and then it's been hit by a frost or blasted by cold wind?

Last edited: 26 February 2017 11:01:01

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Give us some clues. One, is the dieback all over or confined to a particular side (east, west, south facing etc)?  Two, how long has the hedge been in - (I'm trying to ascertain if it's recently planted and had come with new growth already on)?  Three, when you cut the dead bit off, is the stem further back stained inside?  Can you cut back to clean good growth?

H-C  

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,248

Also, whereabouts in the country are you? They rarely look great up here (west of Scotland)   so it may be down to general conditions. 

A pic would help too, if you can manage it  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,248

I meant a pic of the whole hedge,  or at least at  a bit of distance - sorry!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The hedge is on the north side of a fence and gets most of its sun in the summer in the afternoon/evening. 

It is a 5 year old hedge (started as 1ft pots)

Some of the smaller buds coming through are unaffected. Just the ones that reach the size above.

Here is a photo of the whole hedge. I'm in NW England. I'm wondering whether I should prune it or leave it, and what to feed it if anything.

Last edited: 26 February 2017 15:10:51

• Don't prune it yet. Being evergreen it ought to wait until the potential of the worst frosts has passed. That said, the dead bits ought to be cut away, as they'll only look unsightly and allow other pathogens ingress to the good plant tissue.  Give it a month then tidy it up, give it a feed (food any earlier is not going to be taken up), then see how the ensuing new growth comes through

H-C