Forum home Problem solving

Evergreen climbers

Good morning everyone, 

I have 2 x fence panels measuring 4-5ft in height and 3 ft in width that I am looking to cover. As I have so many deciduous plants, I was hoping for something evergreen and was looking at the Clematis 'Avalanche', however, have just noticed it says this is 'non clingy'. Will this mean that it won't grow up a fence panel? Are there any other suggestions anybody could make for the size if not? Thank you x

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I agree, you can't beat Trachelospermum jasminoides with it's scent and evergreen appeal. If it's not to your fancy, you could look at evergreen honeysuckles as well.

Last edited: 26 February 2017 09:14:21

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,248

Attach wires spaced out at about a foot or so, and tie in stems as they grow. They don't really need pruning, so you won't have to do it every year. Make sure to spread growth out horizontally as well as vertically to get good coverage.

You can do the wires horizontally only, or add a few vertical ones if you like  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I wouldn't plant Hydrangea pet. there. It's stunning but needs a lot of room, and fences are never ideal for it anyway.

I wouldn't put a honeysuckle up a fence either. The habit's not right for that. They're more suited to  scrambling over and among other structures, whether it's trees, large shrubs or sheds.

Jasmines aren't hardy in all locations in Britain. Please make sure your site and conditions are suitable forit, or you'll waste your money Emma. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

my experience of the forum popular Trachylospermum jasminoides isn't good. Mine died and on visiting other gardens in the area I see yellow leaves, brown bits and dead twigs. Rarely a thing of beauty in this area.

OK if you want nice smelly flowers and don't care what the rest of the plant looks like

• Thank you everyone. Would I be able to have the recommended jasmine with such a small fence panel? 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

The only reason I thought you may be interested in honeysuckle was because you'd suggested a more vigorous clematis. Like I said, Trachelospermum would be my first preference too, glorious plant. RHS lists it as frost hardy.. it likes a sheltered position with wind protection 

Last edited: 26 February 2017 11:53:36

It's no use here either, nut. Been there, done that...no point. Too flimsy for my neck of the woods. image