Forum home Problem solving

Why has my rosemary died?

3 plants. Been fine for two years now one has given up?! Ideas?! Has only happened in last month. Pic attached

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,385

It won't tolerate a cold wind, although usually it goes black and crispy rather than white (in my bitter experience image ) Could that one be in a windier spot? Does it feel soft and limp or dry and crispy?

“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,341

In my experience rosemary likes to be dry, hot and not too rich.  Like, dry as a bone actually!  I had one by a South facing wall in a pocket bed in a patio and I neglected it. It thrived!  

I had another set in cinders by a South facing wall and it has been thriving (it was a stop-gap measure).  Until I sort stuff out, it's in a pot in sand.

I plan to replant it in a pocket in a patio in a hot, dry location.  Hope this helps you get a feel for what helps a rosemary be successful.

Oh and when they are successful, they get heavy-limbed and droop from the middle so you have to hold up the heavy limbs and prune out the stuff underneath.  This allows the limbs to sit back nearer upright.

Hope this helps, ask again if not.

• That's the prostrate form, I think, from the picture and it isn't as hardy as the upright ones, simple as that. Cold got it. 

H-C

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,275

I'd agree HC. I've had it in  a previous garden and it wasn't great, while I can keep the usual types going, especially if I keep them in pots and shelter them a bit from the worst weather in winter.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....