Arrival of frogspawn

I now know Spring is really on the way as I spotted frog spawn in my pond. Once again my clever frogs have laid it on top of the heron net, which is submerged in water so it is safe from my goldfish. I just might separate some of the taddies when they hatch and put them in a separate container to allow them to grow into frogs.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,247

Lovely Daisy.  We've a while yet to wait for it here, but it's always good to see it arrive image

I used to do something similar at my last house as we had some of those r***y Koi which ate everything in sight given half a chance  image

It was a big pond, but I built a little breakwater with some large rocks at one end of the beach, and when the frogs had spawn, I guided lots of it in there. The fat fish couldn't get in as it was too shallow, so it gave any little tads and froglets a bit of a chance  image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I'm so jealous.  We usually have frogs but no spawn ever (and no fish).  I was considering playing Barry White through a speaker into the garden.

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

We've been early this year in North Wales. I found my first clump the morning after storm Doris. A rough night for some ?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,404

We have loads in the corner of our pond.  I tried to explain what it was to my 3 year old niece - she understood I think: "frogs-born"!  

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • The hopeful herpetologistThe hopeful herpetologist West YorksPosts: 373

According to the Natures Calendar web site http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/map/current.htm?rsid=172&reid=12&ry=2017&rs=S some spawn has been spotted in Scotland, but as yet nothing in West Yorks, at least not in my ponds. 

• Just spotted some in our pond today too! Whoop, whoop!!!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,247

I've never seen it this early here HH, so not sure which part of Scotland it's in.

I know it's been a quiet winter, but I'm not sure it will make too much of a difference  image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• HebeCHebeC Posts: 4

The frogs are gathering in our Manchester garden but no frogspawn yet. Usually it's around the first or second week of March so keep popping out everyday to check!

• Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 441

Down here in balmy Cornwall we have had a mild winter so far. A couple of weeks ago I noticed a great deal of tidal wave movement in my pond and yes, frog spawn. Lovely, but every time a cold spell is forecast I worry about it being killed off. This is the third year frogs have spawned in my pond so they have eventually chosen it as a des. res. I also have toads and have seen one adult newt, fingers crossed there are more.

• I also have just spotted frogs and frogspawn in my pond. this year I am going to give my frogs a chance as for the last few years the frogspawn has disappeared due to the newts in my pond ! I have a large container with pond water and weed next to my pond which I am going to put the frogspawn in and cover with chicken wire to stop the large birds eating it !!!