Forum home Fruit & veg

Bulls***

Hi,

Has anyone been using cow manure rather than horse manure as a fertiliser? 

I read that it's comparable to horse for vegetables and it's more readily available to me but when I've seen them go it's been very wet so i'm looking for advice on collection and storage of it.

Any other hints and tips?

Perhaps horse is simply more sensible.

Thanks

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,077

Horse is generally considered hotter & lighter but most of it round our way is all on Woodchip so needs to be well rotted (but then it all does). Cow muck is considered colder but heavier & longer lasting as it does not break down so fast. it is mostly still on straw. Many on my Allotments prefer Cow to Horse  but a Ton of it will be less volume than Horse. I find both good but celery & brassicas seem to really do well on Cow manure, its really down to preference & availability. Try to get it already well rotted I know some farmers spray slurry but I would not like to use in that state even without the smell. If it is fresh then you need to stack it & compost for around 6 months before use.

AB Still learning

• I think it would depend on how the cows were housed. In the past I used the manure from our 2 cows, but they were kept on straw, while many farms now keep them on rubbery matting and just sluice it down, so slurry is all you would get. Mosyt of mine is from our sheep, again with plenty of straw added in and that seems to work well too. I remember once seeing a table comparing the chemical constituents of each type, but I think you would need to 'garden' in a very technical way for it to make that much difference!

• I think it would depend on how the cows were housed. In the past I used the manure from our 2 cows, but they were kept on straw, while many farms now keep them on rubbery matting and just sluice it down, so slurry is all you would get. Most of mine is from our sheep, again with plenty of straw added in and that seems to work well too. I remember once seeing a table comparing the chemical constituents of each type, but I think you would need to 'garden' in a very technical way for it to make that much difference!

• lb191lb191 Posts: 80

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to grow a lot of broccoli because my children enjoy it.

i'll have a scout around and see if there are any heaps nearby.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,766

I don't put fresh muck on anything. I think it is better mixed with straw bedding and well rotted down. If you do have fresh, add it to your compost bin and let it rot.

• horses only have 1 stomach cows3 the cows break down the seeds that they eat better than horses !

I was amazed at the diferent types of weeds I got in my plot aftter using hosmuck ,nettels,docks,butter cups even thistles and oats ,so you take your pick but for me it's now a load of bull !

atb DD