Forum home Wildlife gardening

gladiolus

I'm confused. it doesn't take much admittedly. I was going to order the gladioli that were on offer. I'm not even sure why 'cos gladdies aren't really my thing but I am a sucker for a special offer! i did think it was probably a waste of money etc. because they serve no purpose for bees but now I'm not so sure. I've read on some wildlife sites that bees do actually like them. so, who's right?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,942

I've never seen bees on mine. They usually have better options like linaria, single dahlias, cosmos.

I  grow gladioli in lines in the veg patch for cutting for the house.   Mixed sorts flower at different times, so I get a bag of one variety usually .

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,512

Depends on what kind.  I grow acidanthera or Abyssinian gladioli which are attractive to bees and very usefully so as they are late flowerers so extend the season.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw