Forum home Fruit & veg

Snow! Help!

Hello! I need help fast, I transplanted new plants - blueberry blackberry and raspberry canes, yesterday to 5 big pots, but it's started snowing. Will this kill my plants? Also have just bought a morello dwarf cherry tree, do I need to protect them? Also my bulbs where just starting to sprout flowers ???? Will I cover these? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784

Don't worry - they'll be fine. image

They can cope with snow at this time of year before they're in leaf or flowering.  Just make sure that the cherry tree doesn't blow over - is it in the ground and staked, or in a container.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

This happens often. Gardening makes you more aware of the seasons and naff weather.

• It's in a container as I want to be able to take it with me when I move plus only just purchased it. There's a small bit of green on one raspberry cane  and the spring bulbs are just about to flower I seen a small amount of colour on a few ? Are they ruined? 

• Also Should I report the cherry tree into a bigger pot for now? It's in a 7.5l pot at the moment. 

FlowerNewbie says:

It's in a container as I want to be able to take it with me when I move plus only just purchased it. There's a small bit of green on one raspberry cane  and the spring bulbs are just about to flower I seen a small amount of colour on a few ? Are they ruined? 

See original post

Not ruined - Ma always said that winter isn't over until we've had a 'Daffy Snow' - i.e. snowfall just as the daffodils are coming into flower ... sometimes in April.  We'd never have any spring flowers if they succumbed to snow.

The raspberries will be fine.  Honestly ((hugs))  Put the kettle on and have a coffee and a dance around to the radio - it's that sort of day. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

When Doris has passed over, post a pic of your cherry tree and we'll be able to tell you if it needs a bigger container. image

• I Suppose! Thanks for all your help ? Feel better about it now. Okay will Get a pic up once it's over thanks ?

Glad that's helped ... and if you're going to enjoy your gardening you'll have to adopt my mantra

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,  Energy to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to ask the Gardener's World Forum Members when I need to know the difference  image

(apologies to Reinhold Niebuhr imagehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer )

Last edited: 23 February 2017 11:16:44

• Dovefromabove says:

When Doris has passed over, post a pic of your cherry tree and we'll be able to tell you if it needs a bigger container. image

See original post

image Here is my cherry tree! Would you say it needs repotted? 

I would pot it on into a bigger container using John Innes No 3 loam based compost.