Forum home Plants

Ok to plant jasmine outside?

HeftyHefty Posts: 370

hi everyone - I bought this jasmine hoop for inside my house, now it's finished flowering would it be ok to plant it outside or? 

many thanks in advance 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,506

I agree with Aym. This may well be a less hardy variety - I would only put it outside during ghe months of June to September. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• from the leave and flower, it's the tough common jasmine.  I've got one growing in the sunny part of garden in Midland. Keep in indoor until replanting in May/june.   

Last edited: 23 February 2017 09:28:59

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,189

The common one is deciduous though, isn't it? I have an evergreen one which looks just like this. I've had it in a container for years and put it outside in the summer and bring it in again in the winter. It usually flowers again just in time for Christmas, though it was a bit late this year. It's also quite happy to be pruned hard if it gets too big.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Yes jasminoides officinale is deciduous, I don't think it's that. The flowers look slightly different. I would follow Aym's advice. 

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

Hey thanks a lot for all the info and suggestions - it only cost a few £ so no major loss if it goes pear shaped, ill whack it in a pot outside once the weather has improved :)

one last Q tho, while im waiting for the nicer weather, ill deadhead the flowers, but is there anything else i should do to it in the meantime? pruning? a trim etc?

many thanks!