Forum home Problem solving

Pesky Squirrels

i would love to eat the cherries I get each year, however the pesky squirrels get them each time.  Any ideas on what I can do?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,189
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

Look at what this one did . Our wall is quite rough brick and it was probably was quite easy to climb but the silly beggar decided

he was not sure how to get down and was screeching. He was up there for quite a while but eventually got down safely. 

I get annoyed by them digging in my plant pots making a mess of the soil  and throwing out the plants .

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• MandJMandJ Posts: 2

I love seeing them and the mischief they get up to but I would really live to eat the fruit I grow myselfF....Pesky blighters!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,249

A sacrificial peanut feeder is quite useful MandJ. They can be a b****y nuisance, but a bit of deflection can make a big difference. The ones here dig up my small allium bulbs and crocus, so I usually stick some chicken wire over the areas they're planted until they start coming through. Not so easy with trees though  image

They're always running up the walls here too - usually if I come in the gate and take them by surprise!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

That squirrel was right at the apex of our roof under the eaves by then, if he had fallen it would have been curtains for him.

I think he was rooted to the spot with fear. It made an easy picture.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I have a hate/love attitude to squirrels.

Love watching their antics and admire their ability to outwit human attempts to thwart them.

Hate them for :-  

digging up ground   and turfing plants out of pots to bury chestnuts etc which then have to be weeded out later in the year.

The cost of buying squirrel proof bird feeders.

The bother they give having to protect pots and area of ground where bulbs are planted.

SW Scotland
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,155

rats with fluffy tails.

Devon.
  • I saw our regular squirrel in the car port yesterday looking very guilty. As soon as he saw me he just froze, then scampered off and came back as soon as I was gone.  I'm sure he'll come into the house if I invite him. He gets up on the outside window sill and makes a lot of noise when we're at the dining table.

Squirrels and pigeons get all the bird feed I keep putting out for the small birds. Robin waits patiently but greedy squirrel takes it all. Also I have yet to find out if they've taken my tulip bulbs.

• B3B3 Posts: 17,638

Don't let them in the house and certainly not in your loft! They will do everything a rat will do.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,155

a friend had a squirrel in her attic gently nibbling away at electric cables until it caused a fire. 

Ask red squirrels what they think of grey ones. If you can find one to ask.

Last edited: 23 February 2017 09:55:51

Devon.