Forum home Plants

Purple flowering memory plant

Hello,

Admittedly, I am a complete gardening novice! 

I have however recently moved house and inherited a garden. 

My husbands nana has recently passed away and I mentioned to him that it would be nice to plant something her favourite colour in the borders as a sort of memory plant. Her favourite colour was purple. The position I am thinking of planting it in gets partial sun. 

I have had a quick look and am wondering about a purple hydrangea however I'm wondering if there is an evergreen type plant that has purple flowers that anyone can recommend. Or really any recommendations as I have no idea where to start. I have a pot of lavender already and once had a purple clematis however this didn't fair too well. Realistically it needs to be something low maintenance.

Many thanks in advance 

Last edited: 21 February 2017 13:13:18

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,817

Hello carlyc. So sorry to hear about your nana but what a lovely way to remember her. Two suggestions for you:

1. Not evergreen but a very easy plant to look after and a magnet for bees and butterflies is the deep purple Buddleja, 'Black Knight'

2. An evergreen plant and again easy to look after, Rhododendron 'Sacko'

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thank you both,

I really like the rhododendron and the ceanothus concha so I will look into both of those.

Carly 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 33,817

You are most welcome.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable