Forum home Fruit & veg

Fruiting fruit trees

AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

Good morning. 

Why did my fruit trees have a bad 2016 ? And what can/should I do differentl.

I have two fruit trees. One is a pear and the other is a plum. I have never cut these back but I do feed with blood fish and bone and I also mulch each year. 

I bought these as one year old fruit trees and have had them for the last 4 years. 

Year one - no fruit

year two - good amount of fruit on both trees but never fully ripened 

year three - good amount of edible fruit on both trees

year four - one plum and no pears. 

I understand that it can take upto 5 years to get good crops of fruit but as said above I had good amounts of fruit in the 2nd and 3rd year. 

Many thanks for your replys in advance 

• AHRAHR Sheffield Posts: 361

These are victoria plum and conference pears

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,945

Hello Giddy image

What was the weather like at blossom time? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I don't think the weather was too good last year but I'm not too sure. I'm in south Suffolk / north Essex 

• I remember a cold spell in late spring last year.  I didn't get a single pear or peach.  It is safer to grow apples, however we love to take risk and  have as wider range of fruits as possible. . 

• I now have two pear trees. I had one that is supposedly self fertile and I got a lot of very small fruit that mostly just fell off. There are now two as I got bored with the Victoria Plum after two good cropping years that basically were just a haven for plum moths...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,945

We have an espaliered Concorde pear planted 4 years ago - we had our first fruit last year - lots of little ones fell during the June Drop, but we were left with two - one on each end of the bottom tier of branches - which is the most we would have allowed the tree to produce anyway at this stage- they ripened well and were delicious. Hopefully we'll get at least four this year image

Concorde is self-fertile and the only pear tree in our garden - I don't know whether there are any pears in neighbouring gardens, so no idea whether it's getting additional pollination.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully this year will be a better year for my fruit trees. time will tell