Help Save the Hedgehogs Part II

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451

Yes,they first turned up on their own about 9 years ago and have been around ever since then!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • That's amazing!

I haven't seen his in years, since I lived in my first flat (ground floor with communal gardens just outside my window) and used to hear them, in Summer, snuffling past at dusk, along the wall of the block.

No way we can get hogs to come to our tiny gardens here where I live now - too many dogs and no one interested in Hedgehog Street image

I'll have to wait until I move and then see what happens there, wherever in London 'there' will be!

Watching and earmarking this thread though - really interesting to know what they eat and how to help them.

I love hogs image

• imageimageYou are extremely lucky to have them madpenguin and obviously doing everything right for their well being. These two arrived on Monday, but went off to a more natural area of the garden, and yes, I have now bought some cat biscuits for them - but it is a job to keep the neighbourhood cat away from the food.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Well done all, your hard work is clearly paying off, as we can see you are doing things right by the hogs. image Jess, I was fascinated to find out there are large populations in Hyde & Regents Parks but apparently further development in Regents will mean destruction of nests despite several petitions image money talks, I'm afraid.

GD, have a go at making a hedgehog feeding station - dead easy, place facing a wall (unlike they've done in the video), shed or fence with a gap size for a hog & put a brick on top of the feeder. Here's a video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O09nMf5AZTs

Still no sign of mine but have seen a fair few squashed on the country roads near by, thanks to careless drivers speeding no doubt

Last edited: 29 March 2017 19:42:38

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,451

My hog house is on our patio about 2 metres from our back door.It sits on concrete under a shrub.Not a place you would normally think of hedgehogs going.In the summer we sit just a couple of feet away knowing there is generally a hedgehog taking a kip!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Mark thanks for the video link - it was useful to watch, but we would have continual rodent visitors if we left hog food out - it is a difficult balance.  I just put the saucer of food out for an hour or two before I go to bed - they will either get used to the routine or find slugs and snails to eat. 

You are extremely lucky with your hedgehogs penguin, a neat little box and constantly being used - Brilliant!

• That's sad to hear Mark image 

Very sad indeed Jess, especially if it was the one I took on. I fed him up and he was still making garden appearances until November, so he made it through the hardest stretch e.g. hibernation but wiped out by senseless idiots speeding down country lanes with no consideration for others image

GD, no problem & judging by the picture yours look very healthy indeed. Keep up the good work. 

Last edited: 31 March 2017 13:51:50

After a long GC visit this morning, I walked the dog around a quiet suburban block when I stumbled upon a man looking strangely at some grass before wandering off. On closer inspection, it was a tiny hog - I went back & got the carrier with newspaper before taking him home. He's been fed & watered in the garage and returned to life. However, I could not be sure he didn't have ringworm/lungworm or internal parasites so I drove an hour to Tiggywinkles wildlife rescue in Haddenham, Buckinghamshire for further assessment as no rescues were answering their phones. No injuries & he was literally eating out of the palm of my hand. They agreed with me - an autumn juvenile that had scraped through winter probably due to someone feeding him.. It really goes to show how much difference we can all make by providing cat food etc. I'll ring later in the week for an update but I presume they will release him elsewhere. I shall be on the look out for any siblings that may be in the same state. 

Last edited: 02 April 2017 18:27:26

• It's amazing how quickly they can respond to heat, food and water; he's a lucky wee soul Mark. One of my overwintered hogs is up to weight and will be released as soon as I see evidence of the wild population out and about. The other one, who has always been smaller has stopped eating though and does not appear to even leave his nest when it gets dark. He is losing weight now and I am concerned that there may be something going on which I know nothing about. My vet has no knowledge of hedgehogs and I have no rescue centre to visit to give advice. Both hogs are males - could it be that keeping them indoors could be stressing this one?