Help Save the Hedgehogs Part II

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,510

That's great AnniD, if you may have three there is a chance of a family later in the year - that would be wonderful for you, and especially if you can capture them on film. 

Don't worry Hosta, we have been putting out food for over a week now, but still not seen the hog - only it's poo, I am sure we will see it sometime soon though as I am sure you will too. They just need to get used to the food being there and will then come back most evenings.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Brilliant news Anni - that reminds me I must get my infrared night camera out, so far none in the back garden as of yet. However, whilst walking Barney the border terrier last night, he sniffed one out in someone's front garden, which looked happy & healthy so that made my evening image Any news on whether they are using your hedgehog house? As it's mild, I think most here in the South are out. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,449

Sorry Mark, can't confirm they are using the house, however last night we caught 2 on one camera at the same time. This involved a lot of pushing and shoving and ended with one rolled up in a ball while the other rushed off in the direction of the feeding station ! They both ended up there at the same time later but decided to ignore each other this time. One is appearing from the direction of the house so I'll have a look there later to see if I can find any signs of poo. What makes me smile is that we have one of those "Hedgehog Highway" signs and every time one comes or goes through it I think "Yes, result !"image

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 523

No sign here in the north east yet but we are still getting cold nights and frosts the hedgehog house entrance is still closed with leaves so I think someone is fast a sleep in there will keep everyone posted

• a1154a1154 Posts: 700

Mark we spoke (typed) regarding my large rabbit fenced area, but getting neighbours involved so there are several eateries available. 

On discussion with the neighbours though (who are all mad keen) but thinking nobody has seen a hog in the area for about 4 years. 

Is it still worth trying or you think not? 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Fingers crossed Anni & Zenjeff image

I think so A, especially if you are putting out food in a hedgehog feeding station. It only takes one good year of breeding and for offspring to eventually wander away increasing the radius. They can travel up to 1-2 miles a night in search of food and/or a mate. I thought the same here for a while but then there was a boom & we had 4-6 visiting the area nightly, they often go unheard and undiscovered 

• ClathymacdClathymacd Posts: 37

Still no sign of any out and about up here in Perthshire; although it's been fabulous weather during the day it's been frosty at night. Our local Hedgehog rescue in Wormit (near Dundee) recommends release any time from about the 3rd week in April, weather dependant. I think our two are raring to go because the mess is even greater than before!

• a1154a1154 Posts: 700

Thanks mark, im on it. 

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,358

Just checked the hog house and I have 3 residents today! Always interesting to see this as hogs are not really very social!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,510

Wow madpenguin, what a wonderful sight.  Did they arrive voluntarily - if so that is great.  We had two new hedgehog arrivals on Monday, They soon marched off towards the overgrown area of the garden, hopefully they will return to feed from on feeding saucer once they have found their way around.