Help Save the Hedgehogs Part II

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,510
    Thanks for the smell confirmation AnniD - I thought it was odd as I had never noticed a smell before, but when I noticed the smell on the second night I realized it was definitely the hogs and not just something wafting by in the air. I am sure your Early will soon settle down again in familiar surroundings Firecracker. although it might take a day (night) or two.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 3,449
    edited 13 April
    @Guernsey Donkey2, l have checked the Hetty's website and sadly they do not send plants to the Channel Islands  ☹ 
    Thanks for thinking about it though!  If you have any herb loving friends on the mainland maybe you could tell them about it ?  :)
    I think you have done that letting people know already AnniD, but thank you for finding out for me. It is frustrating - and that is one reason why the cost of plants and other items is expensive to buy here - they have to pay premium prices to import goods into the shops here.  Oh well.
    Three hogs again last night but they weren't "active" together.
    Just a "heads up" that 5th  - 11th May is Hedgehog Awareness week. Lots of rescues are having open days and various events are taking place. More info here
    https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-awareness-week-2019/
    Thanks for mentioning that AnniD, I didn't know, although our animal rescue service may celebrate the day. At the moment they are heavily involved in the rescued seals (6 over the winter), so are busy trying to find enough fish for them to eat as they continue to get ready for release.
    We are up to 4 hogs in our garden at one time, still no babies yet though.
    Next Wednesday (8th May) 8pm Channel 5. A new programme "Saving Britain's Hedgehogs".  A visit to the Amazing Grace rescue centre with Steve Backshall and Brian May and tips on helping hedgehogs from John Challis (Boycie from Only Fools and Horses).
    John is a patron of The British Hedgehog Preservation Society,  hence his interest.  :)
    Looking forward to this programme AnniD, although hogs here are doing well, there is a general decline in numbers in U.K. and it will be interesting to hear if they come up with some new material.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,397
    Had this visitor at 7pm last night, made the hubby jump as he put the food out, came again twice 11pm and 4am. Am wondering if its looking for a new home as we never get such an early visit usually. 🙂

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 961
    Ours are still visiting and taking food from the dish. Though they do not always eat it all, I guess there is plenty of other food about this time of year.

Also had two keeping us amused a few weeks ago listening to them doing their hedgehog shuffle. :) :blush:

We have only seen one at a time more recently.

Also last week a slight worry seeing a large one in the garden in the afternoon. But there had been a tree gang removing the trunks of a tree that was felled last year on a nearby footpath earlier in the day, so we think it may have been disturbed, bit of a worry but it seems to have gone back to normal visiting hours.

I just hope there was no babies or nest involved. I think if there had been the parent would have moved them?  Maybe just the noise of chainsaws frightened them.

• ShepsSheps Posts: 818
    Someone is out early...hope it is ok and as you say between homes, the ones that visit me normally turn up between 9.30 / 10pm and just like your little friend visit throughout the night.