Help Save the Hedgehogs Part II

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Hi Lucy, 

How exciting, hopefully he or she emerges from hibernation soon and still loves your new place. Do you have a hedgehog sized hole between any of your neighbours gardens? This will encourage even more. Don't worry, a sensor light is fine, my soon learnt that it turning on indicated food had been put down! 

• LucyLLucyL InvernessPosts: 163

Hi Mark, Yes plenty of holes, one neigbour is via hedge, and at bottom of garden is a railed post fence (my dog can almost walk right under lol) and to the other side its the same with the railed post fencing so can easily access my garden from all directions. The neighbour one down from mine is putting a whole in her fencing so she too could get a visit from my hoggy.

Really hoping s/he comes back this year, it disappeared a couple weeks earlier than i had thought, so hoping he just found another food source and was too full to visit me that the other options...

Is there a specific time that they are likely to be about? I would love to see him/her would make my year :) I'm glad that the sensor light wont put them off, was worried about that, kinda hoping it will help me know when they'r outside so then i might be able to see it

• FWIW last year our regular visitor used to arrive just after sunset (I got used to seeing it while listening to football commentary on the radio). But it just sped across the garden and disappeared through the hole in the fence. About half an hour later it would return and speed off elsewhere. It then returned in the early hours and when I left for work I would see it looking for food around the lawn and visiting the feeding station. It did the same thing each night for most of the summer. In the end we concluded that in the early evening it was going on a hot date, and then later it would think about food - not sure if that makes it male or female. Anyway, I think they keep a pretty regular schedule, it just depends where your garden is on their itinerary as to what time they'll arrive. Hopefully ours will return this year and I'll find out if it keeps the same routine.

“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
    LucyL says:

Hi Mark, Yes plenty of holes, one neigbour is via hedge, and at bottom of garden is a railed post fence (my dog can almost walk right under lol) and to the other side its the same with the railed post fencing so can easily access my garden from all directions. The neighbour one down from mine is putting a whole in her fencing so she too could get a visit from my hoggy.

Really hoping s/he comes back this year, it disappeared a couple weeks earlier than i had thought, so hoping he just found another food source and was too full to visit me that the other options...

Is there a specific time that they are likely to be about? I would love to see him/her would make my year :) I'm glad that the sensor light wont put them off, was worried about that, kinda hoping it will help me know when they'r outside so then i might be able to see it

See original post

It sounds like you have THE perfect neighbourhood set up, I wish mine were so amicable. No doubt your efforts will pay off this year, even if they don't appear in Spring - you could get young ones who have just left mum and searching for a new home in June or July. The primary feeding times for mine (thanks to my infrared night cam) were early evening or dusk, shortly after the sun had completely set and then another large consumption just before dawn. Everything in between was spent looking for a mate, teaching mum's young or foraging for insects. 

Last edited: 02 March 2017 11:34:31

• I have just seen a hedgehog poo near our front door and water bowl which I top up regularly, which is where I usually feed them.  They hibernated last November, and hadn't been back until I assume last night.

We used to watch them feed just after sunset, and they would return around 9.30 p.m..  They are a delight to watch.image

Can I feed them dried oat (porridge) flakes?

What a brilliant surprise GD, I bet you are relieved that they made it through the winter now? Fantastic picture too, mum and a youngster? I haven't heard of anyone feeding dried oats, just to be safe I would stick to the best food for them - meat flavoured dry cat biscuits, nutritious and good for their teeth. Mealworms and sunflower hearts as an occasional treat because they are viewed similarly to junk food in humans.

Last edited: 02 March 2017 17:28:29

• We will have to invest in a bag of cat biscuits then - bang goes my economical oats idea.  I should have added that the above picture was taken early last Autumn. We had numerous hedgehogs throughout the year, but also found a couple dead along the road which greatly saddened us. However we have fields around here, so I am sure some of the hogs will have survived.

• First sighting of the year at 5:40 this morning. I know there was a visitor yesterday because all the food was gone and they left the gift of poo, but this morning I saw a surprisingly plump looking hog pootling off to bed. I wish I was too instead of heading out into the rain.

“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Spotted the first hedgehog feeding last night Mark.  I am certain it wasn't either of the youngsters but can't say for certain it was any of the larger ones I was seeing last year.  How much weight do they lose over winter?  Is it relatively noticeable through sight? We are now all on hog watch again.

• I have a garden with uncultivated areas so am hoping I have hedgehogs, have never heard or seen one in 15 years. However, every so often I find small "calling cards" on the patio and steps near the house. They are too large for rat, wrong colour as well. They have insect wings and hair in them so I live in hope. I am reluctant to leave food out for them as I have marauding ferule farm cats who beat up my cat, foxes and a lot of rats which feed in my neighbours chicken run. Sadly now, I rarely see hedgehog corpses on the local roads, it used to be so common to see them which can only mean there are far fewer of them around. It is very rural where I live, plenty of deer, badgers, foxes etc. but hardly any hedgehogs.

Before moving here I once saw a family of Mum and Dad hedgehog and their family of hoglets, stuffing themselves under my neighbours cherry tree. It was dusk and the noise was unbelievable, such a slurping, lip smacking and grunting. Oh my were they enjoying themselves. My daughter and I stood and watched them for several minutes, completely entranced.