Does anyone know about this pond?

Dear all,

I've recently moved home and in the garden is a pond. I wondered if you could advise me on the following questions please:

1. From the photos below, what do you observe is in the pond? (e.g. what is the green stuff floating on the pond?)

2. There is a water pump which is switched on, what else do I need to do to regularly care for/maintain the pond?

3. The pond has cold water fish and goldfish; quite a few very small fish and some medium sized, what should I feed them (any product recommendations) and how to care for them?

4. In the second photo you will see I noticed today what looks like eggs, any guesses what this is and whether I should leave it be or net them out?

Many thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 22,075

Duckweed - which you can scoop out, and frogspawn - fab!

Fish - not so good for the frogsapwn, but if you feed them appropriately, it will help. Take any dead foliage out as it rots down and adds to the nutrients, which isn't so good. The pump will help with that. I've never used pumps as they aren't necessary in wildlife ponds, but yours will be there because of the fish I expect. If you wnat to attract more wildlife, you can add some rocks at one edge to give a little shallow area for access in and out image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Also (forgot to add)...

5. I have a small child, can anyone give any tips / product recommendations for securing the pond? I read that overlaying chicken wire is insufficient for supporting their weight / stopping them from falling in?

thanks.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,372

Get some of the strong steel grid that builders use for reinforcing concrete. You only need to have a six inch square mesh to stop a child, that way the frogs etc can get out.  You can put the grid  a couple of inches below the water level, although it is said a child can drown in two inches of water.  Maybe a fence around it to keep a toddler out.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,840

When I moved we inherited a pond - it's been trial, error and internet to keep it maintained. Usually a pond is for wildlife OR fish - but I have managed to have both. It looks as if your pond is very full of plants - some may be beneficial and attractive but there may be too much if you are after a classic fish pond. The brown stems are from tall reedy plants - so great for wildlfe habitat but decaying foliage needs removal. As you have frog spawn (a great sign!) then a radical clean-up won't be appreciated by 'busy' frogs. Most fish will become minimally active during Winter, going into a torbid state (like hibernation) so won't be feeding yet. 

I would be inclined to have a bit of a tidy and remove some of the plants but then leave it to see what happens. If you do remove 'stuff' from the pond, leave it on the edge for a day for beasties to crawl back in. 

Attached a link for pond safety -

http://www.rospa.com/leisure-safety/water/advice/pond-garden-water/

I'm sure some others on the forum can give you more advice. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • The pond doesn't look that much in need of a clean up to me. The duckweed isn't at a particularly overwhelming level and it will provide food/shelter for the tadpoles when they hatch. Not so much the duckweed itself, but the algae which will be growing around its roots and on the dead leaves. If the tadpoles don't all get eaten by the fish you'll see them clustering on the dead leaves etc. at the surface scraping off the algae. You could cut back some of the more aerial dead leaves.

Potentially you could have newts as well which are most easily seen by torchlight at night. Still a little earlly in the year but peak activity is around March-May.

Be aware that fish will eat a lot of the more interesting wildlife, and the latter will be found mostly in the more densely tangled 'untidy' parts of the pond rather than out in the open.

• Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Much appreciated.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,395

It looks as the pond adjoins paving so it may not be possible to fence it off. You could ask your local blacksmith to make you a six inch grid affixed to the paving and the wall. Perhaps a small section next to the paving that you can lift to get access to the plants - and the ability to scoop out the odd dead fish!

ponds and small children are a constant worry. When my neighbours had a baby I already was thinking about a lock on my gate to stop him in future years getting into my pond! 

Apart from that your pond looks ok. Just cut down the dead stems, maybe take some of the plants out. Don't start feedping the fish until the water heats up. End march or April depending on where you are. Feed a couple of times a week then increase to daily as the weather warms. Use a floating pellet small size and you can the gauge how much to feed.  

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller