Forum home The potting shed

Why does gardening always have to be so messy!!!!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,390

Every year I tell myself that I will simplify my garden so that I can potter about (like they do on TV wearing nice clothes and carrying a pretty trug filled with carefully snipped roses!!).

Instead I end up getting extremely muddy and soaked to the skin (cleaning out the pond) and today I am cleaning pots that should have been done when emptied last year.Space is restricted so I am always tripping over something,right now my patio looks like this........

It is also very cold,I know I should be enjoying it but today I am not.Sorry for the moan,shall now go outside again and tidy up.......

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,281

It's mud pies for grown ups.  I don't mind getting messy if the end result is good and I get a good shower or bath afterwards.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,390

I know I should be enjoying it really!!!

To think in just 5 months it should be like this!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,018

It looks lovely Penguin image 

• Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,021

I look like a baglady when I'm in the garden, I wear my oldest clothing rejects which have usually got paint splashes on them too. This year I thought I should smarten myself up when I'm in the garden so santa brought me a posh Sara Raven apron which covers up most of my tatty clothing!?

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,200

I must be a filthy , lazy old mare. I've never washed pots. It'll rain on them,that'll do  , won't it?

Devon.
  • GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 271

I am just like Bright Star. Last week I had a bonfire and the sparks made holes in my baggy trousers...to add to the paint splashes.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,770

Love getting filthy [ in the garden!! ]

I don't wash mine either Hosta, in fortunately I don't tidy them away either, so they tend to blow away.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root

Punkdoc, guilty as charged. 

I'm about to do my round up of pots. It's like those films you see with all the crabs lined up ready to move up a size and the one behind ready to take over the shell. With me it's agapanthus

Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,774

Muddy clothes in the garden is ok. Dressing gown in tescos no.

In London. Keen but lazy.

onesies on the school run??? NO

Devon.