Jeruselum artichoke-can it grow in a pot?

Hi lovely gardeners, i have heard a lot about how beautiful this plant is and that bees love it too. Can it be grown in a pot ? If so, what size pot and what sort of compost? Thank you ????

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,912

If it's happy it grows as tall as most sunflowers and multiplies quickly via its tubers into a large clump. I think it would need a substantial tub and a method of staking to prevent it being blown over. 

I would use a loam based compost with added grit and organic matter. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Just a thought, globe artichoke flowers are much loved by bees and I think they're more attractive than the unrelated Jerusalem artichokes and are more suitable for growing in containers, albeit still very large ones as they grow into magnificent plants. I would use a very gritty compost, loam based, to ensure good drainage. Put them in a sunny spot and feed every couple of weeks in the growing season - they're hungry plants. 

Hope that helps. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoanaLoana Posts: 427

Oh excellent, thank you dove from above, i don't know the difference between them,so i will do some research, it is only for the bees and architecture that inthought of growing it ?

I'd go for the Globe artichoke - beautiful flowers, architectural plants - and of course you can pick some before the flowers open and eat them with lashings of Hollandaise! image

Whereas Jerusalem artichokes are more like lesser imitations of of sunflowers - fine if you have loads of space/need a sturdy screen and enjoy Palestine Soup and roast artichokes and don't mind the 'after effects'.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-eqRiMdD4

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,722

In my experience, Jerusalem artichokes are shy flowerers (as Dove mentions) so would also go for Globe artichokes or one of the many types of sunflowers.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,722

PS, there are several types of perennial sunflower such as Helianthus maximiliani and 'Lemon queen'.  You could also look at Berkheya purpurea which is a thistle which produces light purple sunflower-like flowers on tall stems.  Those are great for bees and other insects. image

Last edited: 19 February 2017 11:01:46

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.