Forum home Fruit & veg

Plum tree pruning

I have a plum  tree in my garden it's a couple of years old and needs cutting back, I know from books it needs to be done in the spring but this is a bit vague for me. I can see new growth on it so do I cut it back soon or do I wait for it to bud or when it gets leaves on it? I need a visual reference for when to cut it back please.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625

DURING THE GROWING SEASON, PLUM TREES FORM A TYPE OF RESIN WHICH SEALS CUTS AND WOUNDS.

WHEN THEY ARE DORMANT,THEY DON'T PRODUCE THIS RESIN.

IF YOU PRUNE A PLUM TREE WHEN IT IS ACTIVELY GROWING, IN THE SUMMERTIME, THE WOUND WILL BE SEALED WITH THE RESIN AND INFECTION PREVENTED.

PLUM TREES ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO A DISEASE CALLED SILVER LEAF. SILVER LEAF ENTERS THE TREE THROUGH CUTS. IF YOU PRUNE A PLUM TREE WHEN IT IS NOT ACTIVELY GROWING, IT CAN'T SEAL THE WOUNDS AND SILVER LEAF MIGHT ENTER.

ACTIVELY GROWING MEANS THAT THE SAP IS RISING, LEAVES ARE BEING PRODUCED, THE BRANCHES ARE GETTING LONGER ETC.

SPRINGTIME IS A BIT OF A LONG PERIOD SO MAKE SURE THAT THE TREE IS GROWING AWAY STRONGLY TOWARDS THE END OF SPRINGTIME

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784

I prune plums in late May/early June for the reasons given by Pansy above. image

Last edited: 19 February 2017 06:56:41

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you for the replys making it more clear when I should do the pruning.

• I prune once all the blossom falls, is a nice easy sign.