Forum home Fruit & veg

Red 'Rooster' Potatoes

This year in my new vegetable raised beds (very exciting!) I plan on trying some 1st early potatoes and some maincrop.

I love cooking with the red 'Rooster' potatoes from late summer/autumn. Particularly as these roast so well.

Can anyone recommend any varieties. Do I plant these at the time advised for maincrop potatoes? 

Many thanks in advance

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343

If you don't know what your soil or area is like, I recommend the Sarpo range. They are blight resistant. The blue danube is a really good roaster.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Fantastic, thanks fidget.

popping to the garden centre this week so will see what they have in otherwise I'll look at mail order.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,343

I got the Sarpo range from D T brown. They delivered in four days.

I did have a blue skinned potato from a heritage range by Alan Roman. They were dreadful at boiling but made the best ever roasty, just by peeling, rolling in oil, a little sea salt and then roasting . The insides were fluffy, the outsides crispy but not greasy.  Unfortunately I can't remember the name, and Alan Roman appears to have given up his potatoes through ill health. He had a fantastic range that he would sell by the tuber.

Get your seed potatoes now for chipping, then plant all of them at the end of March.  (Midlands). Adjust a week either way for North or South.

I will be planting my sister in Laws near Snowdon(Wet Wales) at Easter.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3