Forum home Wildlife gardening

Creepy-crawly id

I keep finding these guys under some large bits of paving simagetone I use as a border separator when looking under them for slugs. I;ve been putting them out for birds but it occurred to me it may be a caterpillar so I put this one back.  I don't mind if it eats my plants where it is.  Today was the first time I saw one move and it moved like a caterpillar but legs are teeny-tiny.imageimage  I did not grow up in this country so my creepy-crawly knowledge a bit limited since these weren't the kinds of things I collected as a child.  (We had monarch caterpillars)

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I think they are leatherjackets, the larvae of craneflies.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I think they are leatherjackets, the larvae of craneflies, aka daddy-long-legs.

Sorry, didn't intend to post twice.

Last edited: 17 February 2017 16:33:11

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Ah... bird food then!   That was my original thought but then I saw it move.   Thank you!   (And my blackbirds thank you.)

• Hi, I don't think that they are leather jackets. I think that they are large yellow underwing moth caterpillars. Many are going to end up in the same place anyway though and they are very common so I wouldn't worry too much either way!  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

agree not leather jackets but don't know my caterpillars well enough to comment