Forum home The potting shed

Farm Shops

2»

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Posy, think of the taste, a Tesco cabbage has been massed produced wrapped transported stored and then delivered to each shop. Everything grown starts to lose goodness from the second you lift or cut it, the Farm shop cabbage will have had a quick shower after being picked probably that morning, have a few holes in the leaves but the taste is beyond any Tesco produce. Fair enough the Super Market are cheaper easier and no holes in the leaves plus not everyone lives near a farm shop. Foxes are five minutes from us a market garden who had stalls in Stockton Market for many years. I use it because i am sick of looking at cabbage and lettuce with the stalks black with age and no taste. If you blanche and freeze the left over cabbage it will do another meal and still tastes better. Our local Butcher makes coleslaw and has different size pots you choose the same with Peasepudding. The Black pudding is local made not with dried blood. I think back to when my mother did all that with our own pigs, it was normal now Tesco's are normal, somethings are not for the better OK I am too old I will get my flat cap.

Frank.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715

From a farm shop I would be looking for predominantly local produce, good quality and reasonable prices.  I don't think many farm shops could survive by selling only local produce.  I stopped using one of our local farm shops after discovering that half of the veg I'd bought was rotten inside and the shop didn't want to know.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,861

I agree Frank, but we would only be able to eat four days a week!!!