Forum home The potting shed

Snowdrop Walk - Anglesey Abbey

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,697

What with having had the lurgy I've not got around to doing anything about organising a Snowdrop Walk.

We haven't got long left - is anyone interested in meeting up to see the snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey, Cambridgeshire?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/anglesey-abbey-gardens-and-lode-mill/features/anglesey-awakens 

What day of the week suits most people?

Anyone able to car-share etc?

Or is there another venue that people would prefer?

Last edited: 15 February 2017 09:54:40

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,726

Sadly, a bit far for me.

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,698

I'm in,  day dependant. Weekends are better. Mondays and Fridays are impossible....but would be lovely if we could arrange something to suit all those interested image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'm not saying no but it's a long way via the dreaded A14 image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,356

I'm in - depending on which day we actually choose. The only days I can't make are Mondays - but the rest of my diary is clear for the next week or so.

Anglesey Abbey is good for me but it can get very busy at weekends if the weather's good. We've turned back before now because of the stationary queue to get in the car park.

If we prefer weekends somewhere else might be better - but I'm not sure where...

I can car share if Wonky wanted to drive to me. Not sure there's a convenient train station en route for me to offer a lift to Nut to avoid the A14.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,697

I'm flexible about where we go - Topbird, any ideas about where would be better at weekends?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Not really a snowdrop walk but I shall be going here

http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/find-a-garden/Garden.aspx?id=10681

on either 25th or 26th

There's also Chippenham Park which I think (in the past) you've said you'd like to go to. That's been open for a couple of days now & I think is open 7 days a week for the next 2 weeks. No idea how busy it gets at the weekend but it looks as though they have a good show and a decent tearoomimage

http://www.chippenhamparkgardens.info/opening-times.htm

Google Maps suggests the quickest route to there for Nut would be via the A141 rather than the A14.  We could also try to go a bit earlier (perhaps just after opening) if that helps - so we miss late afternoon rush hour and we can all get home in daylight.

Or perhaps Nut knows somewhere a bit closer to her - but that's then further for Wonky to travel.....

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

Our paths crossed there Nutimage

The cottage at Bourne looks lovely. Unfortunately it's a 2hr drive each way from here - so a bit far for me at this time of year.... 

It is a long way Topbird. and I think for a group outing we do need a bigger garden with restaurant to warm up afterwards.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,697

I don't know Chippenham Park but it looks lovely - I'm sure Wonky and I could work something out - she could overnight here or I could overnight with her and then we could travel together.  image