Forum home Plants

Bareroot perennials planting

jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 341

Hi all, would it be ok to plant a few bareroot perennials around now directly into well prepared borders? i have a few arriving in the post this week. Would it be good to use some mycorrhizal fungi to help them establish?

I was thinking of putting them in pots but i'm tempted to risk putting directly into borders. I don't have a greenhouse so can't offer much protection anyway other than against a wall. Perennials i have ordered are Anemone Queen Charlotte, Echinaceas, Foxgloves, Geraniums, Hostas, Aquilegias.

Thanksimage

Last edited: 13 February 2017 18:51:13

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,349

Those are all tough plants so think you'll be fine.  Mycorrhizal fungi won't hurt and needs to be in direct contact with the roots so I just plunge bare roots into a bucket of water and dust them before planting - no point wasting it by putting it in the soil.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 341

Thanks Bob. Weather is a bit warmer this week so i think i'll risk it. I have few other plants that i will leave for later like dahlias and agapanthus but these will go in pots anyway in patio.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,650

I think bare root can be useful, if you are trying to save some money [ who isn't? ]

I would however pot them up for a while, rather than plant them directly into the garden.

I don't know if mycorrhizal fungi work with perennials, good for trees and shrubs.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Mycorrhizal fungi are generally abundant in soil so I see very little point in buying extra. There's very little if any actual scientific evidence to support the use of such products, or even if they actually do result in greater levels of mycorrhizal colonisation of roots compared to not using them. Save your money.

• Most bare rooted perenials can withstand the conditions when planted out. I normally get my stock from a reputable supplier with instructions that they can be planted outside immedialey. Obviously, these are received in late autumn or early spring. I might be wrong but I have never had any barerooted plant fail on me.

• jaffacakesjaffacakes IrelandPosts: 341

Thanks all. Some mixed opinions image Maybe i'll do half potted and half planted out.

• I would also consider the actual clump size of your bare rooted plant  before deciding to plant out.The guide is based on horticultural studies which basically states that  if a bare rooted clump is approx. 3" or more across , then it can be planted out in to it it's final position